mysterious dog deaths

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard tarantulas will kill dogs but not people, but the only symptom I can find on the web is respiratry arrest. 1080 is a very remote possibility, I would think a snake more likely.
Thanks all for your replies.

1080 - not snakebite

Looking at your symptoms – I am going to go for 1080 poisoning – it takes anything from 30 minutes to 3 hours before your dogs showed symptoms. I can pretty much rule out snake bite as dogs tend to become quiet, froth at the mouth, get the shivers and go off their tucker.

I have seen two cases of Common Easter Brown snake bites. In both cases the dogs yelped when bitten and then started to slow down (One was walked after it had been bitten – Unbeknown to the person caring for him) and had to be carried home after he was unable to walk (Slowed right down). He was later found dead in his kennel.

The second dog was bitten in her kennel. I think the eastern common brown entered her dog house – a dead snake found dead. There were two dogs in the kennel – one refused to go into the dog house and the second was very sick. The sick dog was very quiet, got the shivers, went off her tucker (Eat then promptly vomited it up again), started to froth at the mouth and looked very grey. The next morning she was a little quiet (Was not running around like normal) and the following day she was back to her hyperactive way.

So back to your symptoms – I think we can rule out snake bite due to the hyperactivity. Snakes bite to slow their prey down. The symptoms are the same for 1080 poisoning.

Do you know of the use of any bates around where you live?

Also fact the dog was tied up when this happened (1080 symptoms are realized between 30 minutes and 3 hours form consumption) Indicates it may have been deliberate.

and had been chained up for several hours when they began barking, yelping, trembling and charging back and forth on the end of the chain
I'd be checking the area for 1080

Foxes and birds can carry baits quite a distance from the original site the bait was put. Or unfortunately they may have been a deliberate target.

Tasmania uses 1080 to kill Wallabies... for gods sakes Natvie Animals!

They were here before we were...

Australia now has many more macropods (kangaroos and wallabies) than before European settlement. This is because we have changed the landscape to suit grazing animals. What suits a cow or sheep also suits most macropods. You reach the point of all plant life being devastated by this horde of native animals, until there is a drought to starve most of them.

Jungle_...the barking would be the dogs on alert and barking at the snake then yelping at being bitten and usually a quick death said:
Or just from being in pain. Sounds nasty.
Hope they weren't chained the whole time..what a crap way to die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back