Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

damian83

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
i cant believe the amount of narrow minded a holes there are. in two days i have see one brown and two carpets all run over on the road. the brown atmittedly was sorta on the road but the two carpets were off the side and one was actually skidded over at the far left of the emergency lane.
is there seriously that many people out there that do this. id love to line them up and see how they like a tonne of skixding car over them. this just frustrates me

Ah dear it *******'s me to tears when this happens. My grand mother in-law to be actually cracked it at my father in-law to be for AVOIDING a bearded dragon on the road one day so I was told by him. She rather annoyed that he went out of his way to avoid it rather than run it over. I really would have liked to have been in the car when she said it, she would have been told where to go, or more likely that she should lay on the road for me to run her over.
I personally scoot them off the road when I see them, I even made the unrealistic request for to the car to be stopped so I could shoo a lizard of the M1 Motorway the other day.
Why do Herps have any less right to life than people? I couldn't agree more that some people are far too narrow minded.

This just frustrates me. Ever since getting my snake, 25% of my friends have thought its the greatest thing. the other 75% have said to me "the only good snake is a dead snake" and then more crap about shovels etc. I hate how uneducated and insensitive people are.

This just frustrates me. Ever since getting my snake, 25% of my friends have thought its the greatest thing. the other 75% have said to me "the only good snake is a dead snake" and then more crap about shovels etc. I hate how uneducated and insensitive people are.

90% of people i know hate all reptiles and say the exact samething. my mum told me not to let my kids hold my childreni coz they'will pick up any snake and die' im damn glad i dont have that attitude.

Ah dear it *******'s me to tears when this happens. My grand mother in-law to be actually cracked it at my father in-law to be for AVOIDING a bearded dragon on the road one day so I was told by him. She rather annoyed that he went out of his way to avoid it rather than run it over. I really would have liked to have been in the car when she said it, she would have been told where to go, or more likely that she should lay on the road for me to run her over.
I personally scoot them off the road when I see them, I even made the unrealistic request for to the car to be stopped so I could shoo a lizard of the M1 Motorway the other day.
Why do Herps have any less right to life than people? I couldn't agree more that some people are far too narrow minded.

i useually try and stop in the middle of the road to stop anyone from getting past to run them over

actually i do believe its illegal to avoid something on the road in case you cause a bigger accident?

im sure someone will correct me if im wrong

must admit we do our best to avoid hitting 'most' things on the road

I remember a similar thread a while back. Member saw someone deliberately run a carpet over that was not even on the road. I don't particularly like spiders but I still catch them and put them outside to hopefully live another day. Kill one species to be over run by another..heck just look at the human infestation problem we have.

i think they need native wildlife exhibitions in schools to help with awareness. younger kids will soon get in their parents ears and the message will get round that their important to our ecosystem

Ani mal welfa re
Every year many crashes involving animals occur on country roads. If you see an
animal on the road (alive or dead), do not swerve violently to avoid the animal as
this can cause you to lose control of your vehicle or to hit oncoming traffic. You
should stop if you can do so safely or slow down and steer around the animal in a
controlled manner.
If you can’t avoid the animal safely you may have to hit it to avoid injury or death
to yourself and others.
If the animal has been killed, remove it from the road if it is safe to do so. Be
careful with native animals as they may have babies in their pouches.
If a native animal has been hurt you should contact the Wildlife and Information
Rescue Service (WIRES).
If the animal is a domestic pet, you must contact the owner, Police or the RSPCA.
If the animal is injured you should take it immediately to the nearest animal shelter
or vet.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/downloads/road_users_handbook.pdf

page 154

I remember a similar thread a while back. Member saw someone deliberately run a carpet over that was not even on the road. I don't particularly like spiders but I still catch them and put them outside to hopefully live another day. Kill one species to be over run by another..heck just look at the human infestation problem we have.

i think were more of a plague than rats, canetoads, etc.

actually i do believe its illegal to avoid something on the road in case you cause a bigger accident?

im sure someone will correct me if im wrong

must admit we do our best to avoid hitting 'most' things on the road

The law is interpretative in that you are to make a judgement based on the danger of the situation, but that if an accident does occur you will be fully liable and in the wrong. So by all means avoid the reptile just don't cause an accident doing so.

Not allways easy to avoid hitting them when driving at speed

i useually try and stop in the middle of the road to stop anyone from getting past to run them over
I love my reps. BUT. Driving b triples you do hit 'em on the occasion. Bit hard to slow down or swerve with that much weight behind you. Even in a car, at 130+ kph, sometimes it's a bit hard to stop or swerve. I.E. Be careful standing in the middle of the road. If I saw someone deliberately trying to run over anything, all hell would break loose!!!

I love my reps. BUT. Driving b triples you do hit 'em on the occasion. Bit hard to slow down or swerve with that much weight behind you. Even in a car, at 130+ kph, sometimes it's a bit hard to stop or swerve. I.E. Be careful standing in the middle of the road. If I saw someone deliberately trying to run over anything, all hell would break loose!!!

lucky i dont stand in the middle of the rd lol
the ones i have stopped for are all in the burbs so only 50 km zone. its good to see big carpets in the burbs

I once ran over the top of a GTS that was on the highway, it was quite small and extremely dark so blended in with the road very well. Luckily I saw it with just enough time to position my car such that the wheels didnt make contact with the animal. I swiftly pulled over to the side of the highway entrance that I was driving on and moved the green tree snake off of the road only to have some ****ing redneck from the lockyer valley start whingeing about how I left the 2 drivers side wheels of my car on the road (even though I was pulled over as far as I could) to move a snake.

I brought up this topic in class the other day it is illeagal to swerve for an animal yet if it was a human u ran down it would be a different story

Twisted society aye

Back to the original Qstn, I think that a lot of people, that is the majority out there think that all snakes are bad.
It is up to us to teach them different.
Look once upon a time I would kill a brown snake if it came close to home or my family.
NOW that I know better, I just live with them. They are here at home everywhere & I do not even get to see 10% of them.
We live in a lush tropical surround that allows for our tranquility & entices frogs etc. Well we will get snakes as thats what they eat & also like the surrounds.
We have had wondering browns,spotted pythons & the ocassional tree snake. Non have ever bothered us so long as you leave them be to live thier life.
This may sound stupid but is fact & I have have wild browns pass within inches of my feet here at home but because I am not a threat to them, by letting them pass they are OK. & one arvo I was even sitting in my entertainment area when a brown happened to pass through & all I did was lift my legs & he slide straight past. How many do you pass going for a walk in the gardens????

Now it is just education to the silly people that can save EM.

Cheers
Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back