naughty puppy

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelly86

Reaction score
Hey guys,Well im having trouble with my sisters puppy, he's a 7month old husky X pup and he is really getting on my nerves :evil:
In June he did something terrible which made me hate him for a while, he killed my maltese :( he was too rough and broke my lil guys back :( it took me a while to even look at the husky again but i realised he didnt mean it and i could see how depressed he got without his little buddy around...
Anyways, since then he has become really naughty, mainly he terrorises my birds, they are in huge cages so i cant move them and we are renting and im not allowed to build a fence to block the pup from the birds, a few nights ago i got woken up at 4am from my parrots squaking and going crazy, when i went out to see what was going on i found one of my beautiful birds covered in blood with one of its legs completely ripped off :( i took the bird inside and stopped the bleeding and put it in a small cage but it died this morning :( i dont know how to stop this dog from acting like this, i dont believe in hitting him, i just yell at him and he knows he's in trouble but he keeps terrorising the other birds. any ideas guys? we love the dog but i cant afford to lose anymore pets, how can i punish him without using violence?? ill try anything :(

Does he get exercised regularly? I find with my puppy if she doesn't get walked for a couple of days she will start chewing everything up. But if i take her for a walk (even just a half hour one if i'm short on time) she behaves a lot better.

Something thats been suggested to me before is a citronella collar then every time he does something wrong you press your remote and he gets a spray in his face - won't hurt him but apparently dogs hate citrus.

OR you could get one of those electric collars and lay the wire thats sets them off around the bird cage so if he gets within one metre of it he will get zapped.

vibrating collars are your best friend...buy one off ebay, and it comes with a remote with a low vibration and a high vibration button.

the perimeter collars like eitak said would be best for the bird situation though, but they are pricey.

vibrating collars are your best friend...buy one off ebay, and it comes with a remote with a low vibration and a high vibration button.

the perimeter collars like eitak said would be best for the bird situation though, but they are pricey.

I agree but if you want a dog to learn properly IDE suggest a shock collar I used these when I was on land the dogs only got shocked once then the lernt there lesson.

Sounds like the dog needs to be trained first. Seriously playing too rough that he broke another dog's back? Definitely a no go. This dog needs to be taught boundaries, and it sounds like nothing is being done about it. What kind of training does he have already?

Did it draw any blood when it broke the maltese's neck? That's horrible... Are you sure he was playing? I believe in smacking a dog (not belting it, just let it know it's done wrong if you catch it, if you don't catch it then you can't punish it). One other thing you can do that worked wonders for one of my dogs who gets in the odd fight is put them in a situation where they are likely to be naughty, and when the dog even looks like it's going to do the wrong thing, grab it by its neck and roll it over. Pin it down by its neck until it stops fighting against it and lays still. Obviously don't crush its neck, let it breathe. It's making it submit to you.

That's called the alpha roll and its frowned upon by most dog trainers and breeders. An alpha roll on a remotely aggressive dog will end up with serious repercussions for the person attempting to look like Cesar Millan, so its best not to do it at all. There are far simpler and more effective methods then trying to dominate the dog like that, ie, distraction methods and positive reinforcement. For this, I would even use a squirt bottle and would squirt the dog when he gets too close to the birds (this worked for me when teaching my dog not to bark at the fence and when teaching the dog that snakes aren't chew toys).

ive never heard of them collars, ive heard of the ones for barking, are they that same sort of thing?
yes, he gets plenty of exercise, walks every day and plays fetch, he is trained a little bit, like he sits, and he knows the word "no" he just doesnt care when it comes to the birds, like ill say no when hes at the cages, he'll go away but as soon as im back inside he goes straight back to the birds :(
No, there was no blood, it was his back that broke. it happened at around 10pm and i rang the after hours vet and they asked if the body was cold as that means a broken back, it was :( then the vet said to keep him warm and comfy until the morning and then bring him in, so i kept him with me in a basket and stayed with him all night but he passed away at 5am :( i actually didnt see it happen, but i checked on my little dog everynight before i went to bed because he was old and just found him laying on his bed not moving...

this all only seems to happen at night when everyones in bed :(

huskys are a very dominant pack driven breed of dog they need very clear boundarys, and leadership or you end up with a terror . also as a relative of the wolf/shepherd. they have a very high prey drive. so its instinct to try to get the pretty birdys. my suggestion would to set something up so it cant get near them or a hidden fence system as suggested before. i have a swiss shephered and they are similar in nature. and if he is bored theres hell to pay so give him a job to do or hell become self imployed and wreck the joint. i suggest a kong. or three if your not there as it keeps them entertained for hours if packed right. also i no some people dont like smacking dogs and honestly if its for a purpose (and issued at a correct time) not just senseless beating i dont have a problem with it. our dog can be an idiot at times but hes 13months old i dont expect him to be perfect all the time but i do have expectations. i expect him to come when hes called.(no matter whats got him interested) and i expect him to leave something when i tell him to. we have no food agression issues. he is gentle with the pet parrot but he was introduced to it properly and desensitized to it. not saying id trust him unsupervised but on the whole i dont think he would intentionally harm him.

if it only happens at night .. why not put him on a runner chain at night. so he cant get to the birds..?

If you look at farm stock places the will have them barking one spray citrenella up in the face when they bark shock collars give them a little shock it's not bad or cruel in any way.

Smacking a dog such as husky that plays as rough as yours probably won't do anything anyway. My staffy pup will annoy the hell out of our older dog bite his cheeks jumps all over him. I started trying to discipline her by saying "NO" and smacking her but she would just be like "Hell yeah!!! play time" and go nuts!! For me to hit her hard enough to hurt her would be over the line and classed as abuse. So now I just pin her down or put her outside. She doesn't have dominance issues just obedience issues :S

Anyway my point is sounds like smacking your dog wouldn't have any affect on him anyway (unless you were to abusively hit him).

he has only just started, the past week, with the birds. we have had them the whole time we have had the pup. i have tried him on a runner but as soon as he realised he was tied up he non-stopped howled, he is very vocal and loud so as we are renting we cant have him doing that, the neighbours here are great! they complain to the real estate even if our front lawn isnt mowed for a week :(

Tie him up and use a barking collar then.

I agree with br3nton. The shock collar in conjunction with the boundary wire would be the most effective way at training the dog not to go where it you do not want it to go. One hit normallly does it and two if they are a liitle slow on the up take. You might be able to pick up a cheap second-hand one.

At his age and given his potential size, you probably should also look at some formal training (voice commands) at a pupppy school. In the long term it is a good investment of time.

You can also use the collar to train him to stay within the yard boundaries. I watched it with a mate's dog where the gate had been accidentally left open. The dog raced over and you could see it wanted to go out but it would not go within a metre of it. Besides, you don't want your dog getting out and turning it attention on other than birds.

Blue

yeah when my dog gets tied up, even if you're next too him...he carries on like someone is skinning him.

the vibrating collars sort of scare the dog into behaving...they pull back and get a real fright when you use them...so I guess it works by breaking their attention. and it's not cruel because ALL it does is vibrate for as long as you press the button, it doesn't shock or anything.

I found smacks, rolling the dog over, semi pinching him as if you were biting like another dog etc all just meant play time to my boy. Which is fair enough really...they would play naturally. but the collar stopped him biting probably in about a week..I found the initial period of teaching the dog for the FIRST time they're below you is hard...and once you've done it once, they follow suit and stay that way.
we took the collar off probably within three weeks and never had to use it again for anything, and he listens too a whole range of commands now.

I just think they're great.

Although its already gone sour in your case...once he was semi trained we got another dog (full time work/study left him a bit lonely), and I'd say he got even better when it came to listening too us after that.

the perimeter collars I've never used, but you put sensors down, and when the collar itself gets near them, it reacts...pretty sure they're a couple of hundred dollars though? but I havent looked at them in years.

That's called the alpha roll and its frowned upon by most dog trainers and breeders. An alpha roll on a remotely aggressive dog will end up with serious repercussions for the person attempting to look like Cesar Millan, so its best not to do it at all. There are far simpler and more effective methods then trying to dominate the dog like that, ie, distraction methods and positive reinforcement. For this, I would even use a squirt bottle and would squirt the dog when he gets too close to the birds (this worked for me when teaching my dog not to bark at the fence and when teaching the dog that snakes aren't chew toys).

Well my dog has been known to be fairly aggressive toward some of my smaller dogs. It worked a charm for me, and I know it's frowned upon but I'll keep doing it because it works so well. Spraying water on a dog that is aggressive isn't going to do anything.

The large dog of mine had attacked my small dogs a few times (I'd always broken it up before it got too serious, except for once when I was at the other end of the house when the fight started), and then I implemented this and there have been no more problems for about 3 years now.

If you think it's good, that there aren't better methods and that it doesn't at all negatively affect your dogs, then that's your opinion. I would not, however, recommend it to anyone at all. Spraying water might not help an aggressive dog, but there are far better ways to train your dog then this. There are reason its outdated and frowned upon ;)

ur dog really does need to go to puppy school. im not saying this because i think its a terrible dog or anything but more because i teach at one and have heard this situation before.
That ur dog acts up at night isnt uncommon. He knows he wont get caught and he is bored.
Also ur dog being a husky is not so much driven by a need to please u or even food orientation. Huskies tend to be driven by a task(ever put a harness on ur dog and tried to go the way u wanted when he wanted something else) or by a hunt. They can often be quite boisterous and unaware of the result of any of their actions.
Ur dog needs lots of things to do...eg toys, especially ones that can be chewed apart or shoved around or have the squeakers ripped out of them.
You also need to set clear boundaries with him about his place in the family. This can be done by having him eat last, come in the door last, leaving him outside and igoring barking as a plea to come in when u come home and just reminding him he isnt the boss.
Most importantly even if it does cost some money it may be required for u to set up physical barriers to protect ur other animals. If he is continually allowed(and im not saying u want him too but if its not corrected) to go after ur other animals, esp ur birds, this behaviour is likely to be taken into adulthood. Dont expect it too end when hes no longer a puppy. It wont

Good luck with ur training and if u need a good training club i can suggest a few whom i know can help. Just PM me
Sarah

thanks so much everyone :) i think the collar might be my best option then. im looking on ebay atm so hopefully i will have one soon, he is a big puppy and i agree even if i did smack him it wouldnt bother him (unless i man-punched him in the face) i hit my bull- mix in the face once, it was an instant reaction, i was nine months pregnant and he jumped on my belly and scratched my belly all the way down ( it looked and felt like it was gonna rip open) but he didnt come near me for a week after that and i felt terrible about it. :( (was the first and last time i ever used violence with an animal)
as for my maltese, i will never forgive myself for what happened, i do believe i should have known the husky was too big and rough for him, my maltese (miki) was my first dog and i had him since my 14th birthday :( he is now cremated and still with me.
thanks again for your understanding and advice, and not judging me :) i really appreciate everyones help and will definantly be getting a collar now. The husky will be starting puppy school aswell :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back