Need a few CND (central netted dragon) pointers

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptilefan95

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am hoping to pick up my first pair of central netteds on saturday and i just want to make sure ive got everything alright and up to scratch!! :p

First things first, the enclosure size is 700 by 700 by 400 with lots of logs and fake rock for climbing, i gather that this size enclosure is alright for a pair but nothing more. Im using red reptile sand, i know that some people find this dangerous but the two dragons are over 8 months old and from what ive heard it is fine. Ive got a nice hot basking spot ( ive heard the appreciate tempretures around 45 to even 50) and the hotest it gets is 48 or 50 so im pretty happy with that. Correct me if any of that is wrong please!!

Im not too sure about feeding though, roughly how many crickets should they be eating to stay healthy, and should i be offering them greens (if so what sort, is bok choy alright?). I think thats everything but if you guys have anymore advice i would love to here it as i like to get things right the first time around.

P.S I ve got a pygmy beardie and im guessing their overall general husbandery is similar?

Thanks Guys!

they're pretty similar to beardies with care, not as keen on the veggies, but still offer them everyday (like bokchoy, those other asian greens etc...) and they'll eat them. they don't eat near as much as beardies either, so mine only get woodies like 2 or 3 times a week (maybe 15 or so insects a week?). Make sure they have a lot of sand for digging, which they do almost constantly (so watch out for rocks), and hides. other than that, i think it seemed fine in my opinion...
Cam

thanks cam yeah ive heard they arent as fond of veggies! is that 15 per nettie or 15 altogether, and how do you rekon i should feed them? what i mean by this is in the enclosure or outside? thanks

They don't mind chopped up tomato and grrens but prefer bugs.
The do like it hot, but still need to get away from the heat if they so desire.

They are great little dragons, love their food and come running out at you when they see you lol

thats 15 per nettie. i just feed mine in their tank, no problems with that so far... they can get a little stressed if you move them to a tub, so i reckon its easier this way

Thanks cam yep fay ive got a nice cool side and a blistering hot side! ive got a rock background that has a few nooks and crannys for them to chill out in so i hope they like that!

one more question im not going to provide night time heat, which ive heard is alright as these are around the one year mark and i dont really mind if they go into brumination (around winter!!) is that alright

with an enclosure that size, and heats at 48 to 50 at hot spot, i would say the entire enclosure will propably be too hot unless it has an open mesh top, or heaps of ventilation, which i am assuming it doesnt.
i would have the hot spot at 40 to 44 and just as important cool end at 25.
Cams right about feeding 2 to 3 times a week with woodies,the number of will vary depending on size, with greens offered also,
you can get away without night time heat providing its not getting too cold over night, if you wanted to be spot on, dont let the cool end go below 17 at night and you wouldnt have a problem

Thanks for your concern bigi but it does have quite a bit of ventilation at the back and im sure it will be sufficent i kept my pygmy beardie in there for a week or so and he was fine even with the slightly hotter tempretures. Also im pretty happy with the night time heat as the rock background holds heat really well and it tends to disburse it somehow. Thanks for the advice!!

i keep hearing you say in forums recently, im sure its alright,

the only way to be positive is to put a thermometer at both locations (hot spot and cool spot) and monitor it, from what you have described im not too sure it is ideal, better to be safe than sorry, and the size of the enclosure and amount of heat could prove difficult, also you havent mentioned uv requirements, have you allowed for this

By the way its not my concern, its yours, you asked for comments and im providing my opinion on what i believe is required, thats all

i agree with bigi, having it that hot in an enclosure so small isn't going to allow for a very cold cool spot... they don't like being in the heat 24/7, they do like to escape, so i think that could be a problem. and 50 degrees seems very hot, mine probably only like it at 45 at the absolute max, so i think what bigi said (around 40-45) is much more realistic.
Cam

Yea thanks guys ive tried to cool down the basking spot and it is pretty good around 46 and the hottest point is 48, ive measured the cool end and it is 25 to 28 so is that a good enough tempreture gradient? also cam like i said before i wont be suppling them with 24 7 heat, only during the day time.

And bigi im sorry if you thought i was having a go at you but i wasnt thanks for your help mate!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back