need help with feeding baby bird!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. Handraised birds can get seriously bad attitudes at times...
Personally after raising many birds I came to the conclusion that handraising can sometimes be the worst thing for them. By 'co-raising' where the parents do 90% of the care but I handle the babies in the nest and offer food to them from me as they get older I find they become better pets. I put it down to them learning the important social skills that their parents teach them. Think about it when you get the wild lorikeets, etc landing on you at tourist parks it's VERY unusual for them to bite and I think that's because they have never been forced to be held and they fly to you willingly because the process is rewarding for them.

Keep your formula powder, air tight, and in the fridge and it will last almost indefinitely. A friend of mine who has a business in breeding exotic birds and selling hand-raised young, told me this. He has macaws, AFrican Greys, Amazons, and a few varieties of conures. I don't think he'd tell me this if he thought it was any risk to birds like these.

My very first experience at hand raising was a cockatoo Mum and DAd bought. He was still eating weetbix when we brought him home. His temper wasn't real good. Wonder if it was due to lack of nutrition as a baby.

Kathy I was actually advised to put it in the freezer, this was by a company that makes a very well regarded hand raising formula(amongst other products) so that's what I have done ever since. As long as it's air tight it stays dry and can be used striaght from the freezer as long as you make your water a little warmer to account for how cold the powder is.

so what happened to this little one? this was just a very bad idea. its a live creature not something you can learn on and end up killing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back