Need input on improving my current BD's home

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

candi021

Reaction score
Hi! I'm hoping I can get some input and guidance on improving the living conditions for my BD.

She is only about 12 months old but we recently moved from Queensland to Victoria and I'm not confident her original set up is keeping her warm enough nor is she getting adequate light (as there is less natural light available in the room she's in now). It was fine for Qld weather but it's colder down here in Autumn/Winter. I thought she was brumating but am not sure - she sleeps/lies in one spot hidden for a few days at a time and then sometimes will come out and be active. I'm concerned on her overall condition too as I think she's a little dehydrated so I soak her in a warm bath at least once a week.

Images of her current set up are below. To summarise:

• 120cm width x 45cm depth x 50cm height
  • 100W ceramic (no light) bulb at left inside cylindrical light cage
  • Heat rock on left (low, flat type)
  • UV fluoro on right (no cage facility)
  • Water always available, fresh veg (mostly endive) regularly available, large climbing rock in middle, log along rear width - she likes sitting on top of the background sections to be close to the ceramic bulb when she is up and about

from-left.JPG
from-right.JPG
longer-view.JPG
longer-view2.JPG
portrait-top.jpg

My thoughts are:

1. Put a long (eg. 60cm) fluoroescent UV fitting with tube bulbs along the top.

But, how do these attach? The description on the Exo-Terra ones are that they only fit their brand tanks..."The Exo Terra Compact Top Canopy is a compact fluorescent terrarium canopy designed for use with the Exo Terra Glass Terrarium" (link here)...Which is unfortunate because I've seen their Dual Top UV Light/Basking Spot Light Fixture product (twin tubes with 2xbasking spot lights Exo Terra : Dual Top / UV Light & Basking Spot Fixture) and I thought that would be even better. But again, it's useless unless I know more about whether I can use it on my tank. (The top of my bank has a strip of perforated round hole metal between glass supports - see last photo.)

2. And then I was going to upgrade the 100W ceramic to 150W at the same left end to maintain temperature gradient. Heat is being released through the top, hence why I think I need to up the heat for that end.

Any thoughts on my plans, or experience using these exo-terra fittings on non exo-terra tanks?

Thanks in advance all!

hi Candi021! I found that the reptile one T8 reflectors work well, i use one of them with a 10.0 UVB 24 inch tube light, . I just have it resting on top of the wire mesh above the enclosure which you could also do. I've found this works quite well, also for your BD i would use a white heat light, such as the Zoo Med Basking Spot lamp, either 100 or 150W.
-Ausreptiles101

Also i would try and position the light so it is shining directly at one of the rocks so she could position herself in the direct line of heat, e.g. here is a picture of mine light setup.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Ausreptiles101 is right, replace the CHE with a halogen or spotlight from bunnings. Change the wattages to get the correct temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back