Need Ppls Advice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jnglgrl

Reaction score
Hello, now I was just wondering. Anubis (12 month male jungle carpet) Has been hiding behind a rock for 1 week and 5 days now (hasn't come out once since I got him exept for last sunday when I took him out) although he did eat a fuzzy rat behind the rock last saturday. He has 3 hides which he hasn't used. He's in the dining room but I dont get much traffic in there and half of his enclosures covered just incase. I haven't handled him (and he badly needs it coz he's so snappy) coz I was giving him time to settle in and now im thinking maybe his enclosures to big so ive thought up a plan,

1. feed him tonight, he should take it.

2. On the thought that he did eat, on Wednesday handle him for a lil bit and put him back to c if he goes straight back behind the rock.

3. If he goes straight back behind rock i was gonna put him in a click clack container in his enclosure and then c how he goes.

If he dont eat tonight my plans still the same but just delayed a lil.
I dont know if this is what I should be doing so if anyone els has any ideas, suggestions or solutions it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx, Bianca. :)

If your snake does eat, you shouldn't really handle him till after he has fineshed digesting it, or at least for awhile afterwards. It ups the chances of the little fella regurgitating his food. Do you happen to know when he shed last? - He could be on shed, pythons tend to just sit around when they're due. If you don't think he is, leave him in his hide box and dangle the food in front of the opening, chances are he'l take it. Alot of pythons love feeding that way as they feel secure in their hideboxes. By the way, do you have any branches in his enclosure? - Even just a few twigs if he's real small - hatchy/juvie, most jungles I've seen love to climb.

His last shed was on the 29th December. His eyes dont seem cloudy, but then again im lucky if I get to see his eye's behind that rock. He has two branches to climb but appart from when I very 1st put him in his enclosure he's had no interest in anything. Ill attach some pics so you can get an idea of his enclosure.

Very bad quality I know sorry. The pics are meant to be the other way round but as you can (just) see, he has plenty of hiding spots, branches, rocks, pinecones (all of which where drowned for 2 days and cooked in the oven for an hour) fake grass. He even has a $50 rose quartz rock in there. Ive probably overdone it a bit but I just want him to be happy :(

Jnglgrl..... I have two (1 & 1/2 ft, 12 Month) Coastals in a 4 ft fish tank... Mine rarely come out except if they are changing hides(hot to cold,cold to hot)...or it is close to the fornight feeding time when they are looking for something to eat. I only occasionly see them come out at night for a fossick aroung the tank.
How long have you had them in the tank?
How big is the Enclosure?

I only have1 baby :D
Im not sure how big his enclosure is but its about approx 70cm long X 50cm wide X 50cm high.
Thats just me bogerly messering with a ruler. :lol:

I have 3 yearling coastals, 1 sine he was only 6 months, and mine all usually just come out at nighttime to explore. Relax I'm sure he's fine!, he may be on shed - when they're on shed their eyes only stay cloudy for a while than return to normal just before they shed. The enclosure looks fine, and as long as he's the hides you've given him I'm sure he'l be happy. Try him with the food and see how he goes - by the sounds of it you've almost had him for a fortnight so he's probably due for a feed. And don't stress too much if he dosn't take it, if on sheds the majority of snakes won't eat.

I just tried to feed him and it was no go :roll:
I was kneeling there bouncing this rat around for about 20min and I gave up coz my knees went numb :twisted: Ive left the rat in there but he wont eat it. It has to look alive.
I realy need to take that big rock out, it makes things so hard with that in there. :evil: How should I go about that? Should I let him settle again after annoying him? When should I take it out? :) :? 8)

How long has he been in this enclosure? Is he hiding on the cool or the warm side of the enclosure?

Vat69 said:
How long has he been in this enclosure? Is he hiding on the cool or the warm side of the enclosure?

He's been in there for 1 week 5 days today and he's kind of on the cool side but towards the middle more and keeps moving from hot to cool behind the rock (as much as he can).

Im just gonna do as chameleon said, put a cover on him, leave the rock and stop worrying :lol: (thats a fake laugh) I dont think I can stop worrying :(

If he's only been in there a week then he's still just settling in. That's what snakes do while they adjust, it's normal :)
Just let him chill out for another week or so. Dont get him out, just let him relax
He's fine, no need at all to worry. He's probly checking everything out while everyone's asleep then hiding again during the day :wink:

The temps in the enclosure are

cool end = 29oC
cool end up high where branches are = 31oC
Hot end = 30.9oC
Middle under light = 31oC
Im not sure exactly what the temp is behind the rock.

Humidity im trying to keep inbetween 60% and 70% but its real hard and quite often drops all the way down to 50%
:) [/b]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back