nervous owner

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nless01

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hi to all i am a new member to the group have a question about my seven month old diamond i have been told they like to climb but mine will not at all her home is 4foot x 4foot x by3foot with a good selection of branches and hides but when she moves around it is always ground level

cheers

How big is your Diamond Python?? The enclosure may be a little big for it at the moment. It may feel nervous and continue to hide. Correct me if I am wrong anyone :)

yeah the tank sould be less than half that size for a young snake
thay can also stress and go off there food
young snakes in the wild hide most of the time so if your going to keep it in the big cage give it a good place to hide

coming back to basics, your python is nocturnal.
So you will only see it climbing and exploring after dark. if you turn a soft light on about an hour after dark then your diamond may well be exploring.

All my pythons are hidden away tight all day until dark arrives and every single one is active!
hope this helps

sorry as i said i am new to this princess as she is known was 75cm long at last shed i have halved the width as was thinking a long those lines in reguards to size she is feeding well and is handling well she has been part of our family for about 8weeks

My diamond is just over a metre long and its enclosure is only 780m long. It is not overly high or deep but is perfect. He comes out and explores all the time and then climbs on his branches. Halving your enclosure was a good idea. :)

Re: RE: nervous owner

diamond_python said:
My diamond is just over a metre long and its enclosure is only 780m long. :)

780m long!!!!!!!

It would take you all week to clean it!

:p

Hix

RE: Re: RE: nervous owner

diamond_python wrote:
My diamond is just over a metre long and its enclosure is only 780m long.

780m long!!!!!!!

It would take you all week to clean it!

Hix

Wow, how much news paper would it take to cover the bottom?? I imagine you would have a lot of hides and heat sources as well...... ;-):D

RE: Re: RE: nervous owner

I have my diamonds outside in an aviary and they come out during the day to bask, they go back inside as it cools down in the evening, so some will come out at in the day and some at night, all depends on the relative temps they are in.

What temp have you got yours housed in??

i have the thermostat set at 25degrees giving a temp range of 30degrees at the warm end and about 24degrees at the cool end as i was told by the supplier this was a good range for diamonds i dont know if it makes a difference but i live in south aus and she is housed in the spare room where there is very little poeple traffic to disturb her as this is my first reptile any advice will be of great help
cheers

That is a good temp range for a diamond. I would be keeping her in a smaller enclosure till she gets bigger, that size is large even for an adult.

My diamond is just over a metre long and its enclosure is only 780m long.

At a conservative estimate you could keep another 780 in there :)

Nless, you obviously like to give your snake some room :) I wouldn't be worrying about it as with an enclosure that size why would the snake need to climb, it can get all the excercise it needs on the ground. The nocturnal comment was a good one as a lot of my snakes only venture up their branches once the light starts fading.

At a conservative estimate you could keep another 780 in there

Yeah, umm, thanks Phil. I should have known your computer would start to work again and you would come back with a comment like that ;) :D

yeaha my baby diamond only comes out at night too but my aduklt one man hes hanging around all day lonng he never goes and hides

yeaha my baby diamond only comes out at night too but my aduklt one man hes hanging around all day lonng he never goes and hides

My diamond used to hide all day and still does to an extent, but he comes out more now and stays on his branches at night.

to all those that have offered advice thank you we have just had the reason why she is not climbing to our great surprise she has shed again only eight weeks after her last shed and now appears to move all over her home again i thank you

cheers Tony and Princess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back