New Ackie

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicken

Reaction score
Hey everyone, this upcoming saturday is the Vic Reptile expo and i have decided to get a ridge tailed monitor (Just one). I have kept/keep beardies, a spotted, frogs and thickies so i personally think i have enough experience and have done enough research that i'm ready for one of these. Basically i chose these because i have had experience with them at a reptile shop i help out at, and i already keep reptiles that i can handle e.g beardies, spotted but they're lazy haha i wanted something a bit more active, more interesting to watch ya know? Anyway i have his new home all set and i was wondering if everything is ok. Right i have a melamine cage 900 long 450 high 450 deep. I have a 24" Uv light (10.0) and 2 heat light fittings. And a thermostat (one of the wall ones, it is positioned about 15cm in from the cool end). I am only using one heat light, its a phillips 100 watt spot lamp. Under that i have a retes stack. The temps are Hot spot (top level of retes stack) 52, hot end 48 and cool end 30. Are these temps ok? For substrate i am using a mixture of white play sand, red desert sand and peat moss. About 15cm deep for digging purposes. It is fully dried out, would i need to keep it slightly moist at all for humidity? I have a fake rock background and sticks, logs, water bowl, hide and thats pretty much it... My last question is will this sized cage house my single its whole life? I am happy to upgrade his cage to a 4 footer if necessary. I don't really want a pair as males will fight and as silly as it sounds dont really want eggs. I breed thick tailed geckos and don't really have time for the ackies eggs. I hopefully am getting him from a guy that has an add on herptrader for baby ackies and said will be selling them at the vic expo. He's on aps i forget his name though (my apologies). Umm the guy with the kangaroo surfing as his picture. Bout to send him a pm. Thats about it, thanks guys sorry for the long read :)

enclosure pics please wow do they realy need a hot spot of 52 that is hot but i dont know any thing about them hope it all goes well :D

correct me if i am wrong but i thought i read somewhere that the temps should be hotter than 52. Up near 60 im sure i read

they are from northern territory and upper WA. Great little monitors :)

oh lol i dont reckon it would get that hot though you see on the news like 40 but never seen 60

oh lol i dont reckon it would get that hot though you see on the news like 40 but never seen 60

rock tempature is what your after, the air tempature may get to 40 but the rocks will be a heck of alot hotter.
to raise the heat simply make the stack higher or get a larger wattage.

I've got the same idea as you. Hopefully going to get 2 juvie ackies from the same guy. I've got the same size enclosure for my yearling and got the hot spot around 55C.

All good, can anyone answer my questions? Just wondering if its big enough for an adult etc etc

That sized enclosure would be fine if you have set-up the enclosure properly. Use up the most room you can in the enclosure. Have some logs giving it height and even a rockwall if you can.

Ackies are so much fun to watch! BUT they are also great escape artists!! Please make sure the stack (under the heat light) is not too high or they can jump and go through the top if there are holes or gaps large enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back