New baby beardie help.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AnimalLuva

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey, guys, just picked up a new little baby beardie! He is 8 weeks old and 17.5 cm from tip to tail..we are in the process of setting up his tank; he is meanwhile being kept in a smaller plastic tub with UVB light. With the light, the tank is in the low 20's (degrees Celsius). Just popped some crickets in there. He isn't eating straight away, im thinking he might only eat at night or something? Anyways, he isn't moving around to much in the tank, and im pretty sure thats okay? Problem is, i pick him up and he seems a bit..out of it. Blowing himself up and closing his eyes, he doesn't try to escape or wriggle very much when lifted by the tail..is this normal for new beardies? And, one more thing, i threw 5 crickets in, is that enough?:?
Replies would be appreciated!
-Azzy.

I think he needs more heat.

A heat mat under one end of the tub on a timer would be a great addition.

Make sure he's not dehydrated either.

Also, does he have any hiding spots to retreat to? Could be a bit stressed out.

Hope this helps. I'm not experienced with Beardies in particular, but I do own reptiles and they have common reasons for not eating among all reptile species.

Hey, guys, just picked up a new little baby beardie! He is 8 weeks old and 17.5 cm from tip to tail..we are in the process of setting up his tank; he is meanwhile being kept in a smaller plastic tub with UVB light. With the light, the tank is in the low 20's (degrees Celsius). Just popped some crickets in there. He isn't eating straight away, im thinking he might only eat at night or something? Anyways, he isn't moving around to much in the tank, and im pretty sure thats okay? Problem is, i pick him up and he seems a bit..out of it. Blowing himself up and closing his eyes, he doesn't try to escape or wriggle very much when lifted by the tail..is this normal for new beardies? And, one more thing, i threw 5 crickets in, is that enough?:?
Replies would be appreciated!
-Azzy.
low 20`s is way too cold , really mid 30`s is whats needed for the warm end with a basking spot of about 40 degrees and a cold end of mid 20`s . no wonder his not eating and not moving very well [ his not up to normal operating temp] a juivie [ baby] beardy should be wriggling and puting up a great effort to try and escape . [ well atleast my 2 used to ]

Oh and it'd be best to to hold him by the tail.

The hottest spot in his tank should be about 40, I think.
Make sure you have a cool spot at about 25ish as well.

And don't handle him too much at the moment... wait till he settles (a day or two). It may just be getting a bit too much for him.

low 20`s is way too cold , really mid 30`s is whats needed for the warm end with a basking spot of about 40 degrees and a cold end of mid 20`s . no wonder his not eating and not moving very well [ his not up to normal operating temp] a juivie [ baby] beardy should be wriggling and puting up a great effort to try and escape . [ well atleast my 2 used to ]

Glad I was right on the temps. =]

Um, no. Holding him by the tail will cause him to stress and throw himself around (possibly injuring himself). As mentioned, the temperature is far too cold for him. Under body heat (ie. heat mat, cord, rock, etc) should be used as only last resorts. Dragons cannot detect heat underneath them, and sometimes do not move off the heat in time to prevent burns.

OK, yep way too cold. A UV light is great, but you need a light that'll give off heat as well, just a normal household bulb on a lamp until u get him set up properly. His basking spot needs to get up to about 40-45 degrees for the littlies to thrive. How big exactly is the tub you've got him in?, & how long before you get him setup in something else?
Beardies heat up in the morning sun, they eat then when they're warm, & they sleep of a night time, so no, he won't be eating of a night. Babies can eat between 30 - 100 small crickets a day, so normally you offer them food 2 to 3 times a day. Allow for them to warm up properly, feed them, if you're home in the middle of the day, feed again, & then at least 2 hours before lights are turned off. But he won't eat in the temps you've got, so sort that out first.
And please, never pick your Beardie up by the tail - this is very threatening for them, as when they're fighting another Beardie, they start with going for the tail more often than not. A new little one like that, cute as they are, needs to be gotten used to being handled, so for the first week until they settle in, try keep handling to a minimum. They get much easier to handle once they've grown a bit.
Anything else you need to know?

also keep the heat up at night as well dont let the cool end to drop under 20 degrees and spray him with water & the sides of the cotainer so he will lick up the drops of water that run down the sides of the walls & his nose also put greens in there ever day the quicker it takes to them the better i hope thats helped a bit deano :D:D:D

Yeah, i popped him (with a towel inbetween) ontop of the heater...he is only in a temporary housing, and there is no where near enough room for two lamps. We are working on the tank now...just got to move my brothers snake into a new home and movie the lil' fella in..right now it is around 25 degrees in the corner...and rising. Popped a hidey-hole in there, crickets are still bouncing round tho. I will try the spray, i had a lid of water in there that he was bathing in yesterday. Thanks for all teh help!

Yeah, i popped him (with a towel inbetween) ontop of the heater...he is only in a temporary housing, and there is no where near enough room for two lamps. We are working on the tank now...just got to move my brothers snake into a new home and movie the lil' fella in..right now it is around 25 degrees in the corner...and rising. Popped a hidey-hole in there, crickets are still bouncing round tho. I will try the spray, i had a lid of water in there that he was bathing in yesterday. Thanks for all teh help!

As a general rule; it's always best to have to house before it's occupant. Next time it would be a good idea to have everything set up before you bring your new little critter home. =]

Hope it all turns out well. =D

I'd swap the UV for the heat at the moment, would be more beneficial!! Let us know how u get on - Kathy

Oh, and can you remove the crickets? - they love eating the soft underbelly & eyes of little beardies - trust me. If you're worried u haven't removed them all, make sure there's some carrot, greens, & dog food or raw meat in the tub for them instead of feasting on your little one.

Oh, and can you remove the crickets? - they love eating the soft underbelly & eyes of little beardies - trust me. If you're worried u haven't removed them all, make sure there's some carrot, greens, & dog food or raw meat in the tub for them instead of feasting on your little one.

I second this advice.
=]

Sounds normal for a baby,probably not used to his new home yet.

Stick a heatmat under the tub aswell as the light, 20 degrees is not hot enough.
You should try and get a seperate tub to feed him in,so you dont have loose crickets in his living area. 5 doesnt sound like many, but ive never used crix before, only woodies...if you have trouble with crickets you should try woodies and get him on veges too =)

Pinheads are way to small, A newborn beardie could take small crickets :)

Okay, thanks guys, already bought the pin heads so i'll see how he goes on a whole bunch of them, and next time i buy, i'll grab the smalls. :p Stranger, c'mon, if you haven't got anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. Ever heard of people looking for a second opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back