New baby beardie help.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will try the spray, i had a lid of water in there that he was bathing in yesterday. Thanks for all teh help!

I just noticed this - if he is bathing in a shallow water bowl then he's hydrating himself, so until u get your temps sorted to hot enuf, I'd hold off on the spraying - concerned if he's cold, + then cold & wet in a dampish environment, he may get a cold.
Once the temps are up, & if he enjoys the sprays then sure...

Oh and it'd be best to to hold him by the tail.

The hottest spot in his tank should be about 40, I think.
Make sure you have a cool spot at about 25ish as well.

And don't handle him too much at the moment... wait till he settles (a day or two). It may just be getting a bit too much for him.

by the tail? :( :( :(

pick him up gently amd support his legs and tail. or hold him against ur chest whe a hand over his back,....

pick him up gently amd support his legs and tail. or hold him against ur chest whe a hand over his back,....

Yeah... he said in one of his first posts that "he doesn't struggle when I pick him up by the tail" or something like that. :/

Oh, I see!

It looks like I was telling him to hold him by the tail! D=
I mean "not to"
I accidentally wrote "to to"

Yes. DON'T LIFT BY THE TAIL.
That's what I meant in my original reply.
Sorry for the spelling error.

Peeps, i know how to hold a beardie :p I was worried, and was checking his alertness when i used his tail! Don't worry, it may not seem like it, but i did do research beforehand! ;)

He has perked up a fair bit, and is even getting a little defensive. I popped some greens in there last night, just out of curiosity and this morning it was all gone. I was amazed, i thought it would take alot of work to wean him onto the veg's, his breeder had him feeding wholly on crickets. Just popped some more in then, he isn't even waiting for me to leave before he tucks in :p Looks like he might even prefer them over crickets.
Oh, and, i forgot to mention earlier that im not to worried about him going into shock or anything because of habitat change, the breeder had him in one of those 20 x 15 cm Chinese Takeaway containers with just the UVB. Eez all good.

Oh, and, i forgot to mention earlier that im not to worried about him going into shock or anything because of habitat change, the breeder had him in one of those 20 x 15 cm Chinese Takeaway containers with just the UVB. Eez all good.

Oh wow, my jaw just dropped!!!

Pleased to hear he's doing great. Post up a couple of pics when u get them. They do need the live food, & it's a real bonus that he loves his veg.
Hope all goes well now - Kathy

He has perked up a fair bit, and is even getting a little defensive. I popped some greens in there last night, just out of curiosity and this morning it was all gone. I was amazed, i thought it would take alot of work to wean him onto the veg's, his breeder had him feeding wholly on crickets. Just popped some more in then, he isn't even waiting for me to leave before he tucks in :p Looks like he might even prefer them over crickets.

Good to hear its going well for you now you have gotten everything sorted.

I wish my guy would eat his greens, The only way I get him to eat his greens is by putting 4 meal worms under a layer of endive or anything else I have around, even then he just uses his feet and nose to dig away the endive and just eat the meal worms. Little does he know that even though hes pushing the endive away its still stuck all over the meal worm.

Muhhahahh I'm evil :p

I'd get rid of the coil uv and red light.. atleast replace the red light with a bright bulb :)
Also get a temp gun as stick ons can be off.

And that comment is why nobody likes newbies. What he has isn't perfect.

Dave recommended what he did for two reasons. A) dragons are diurnal and prefer bright enclosures, and one little coil isn't going to do the job properly. B) Coils are renowned for producing UVC, which is damaging to your dragon's eyes.

If your dragon starts going blind, you're going to feel sooooo bad :D

Dave recommended what he did for two reasons. A) dragons are diurnal and prefer bright enclosures, and one little coil isn't going to do the job properly. B) Coils are renowned for producing UVC, which is damaging to your dragon's eyes.

If your dragon starts going blind, you're going to feel sooooo bad :D

Go with the ones who know.
What you've done is a great job looks wise, but the guys are right. If u don't listen, your beardie will get sick.
Guys, if there's no money, what's the cheapest solution until some comes in? Can she just replace the coil light over to the right & not too close to the beardie, & pop a normal household bulb in the basking spot for heat. Plus until you can get a more reliable temp controller, I'd put the little thermometer over at the hot end, or another one at the hot end.
Don't get me wrong, I want the coil gone too. Even no coil & getting him out in the sun would be better than keeping it there hey. Animalluva, what's your chances of taking the lights back for a swap? - I know the pet store I deal with won't give a refund but will exchange.
Also, would anyone be putting the big rock as the basking spot & the hide on the cool side?

You've done so well so far, just a little bit more to go :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back