new bhp, just a few things if anyone could help with opinions :/

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tempest404

Reaction score
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
Hi guys, just came into a 4yr old BHP, i haven't keep these before at all but been wanting one for ages, her owner was moving away and couldn't take her with him so i ended up getting her pretty cheaply. now the guys uncontactable so i can't ask more questions (kinda sus). just wondering if it's normal for them to be extremely placid (eg. doesn't flinch at all when touched, even around the head. just hisses a little on rare occaision)? and also extremely lazy. has just laid in the warm end all night and day (floor temp 32 ambient air temp above around 36-7, cold end 23-29 depending on oustside temps) but she's fairly limp to hold, doesn't react to much when in enclosure or really move much when being handled either. when put on the ground though she becomes a lot more active (cold tiles :p).

personally she looks a little on the fat side as well apparently was given a rat a week ago (that came out when she got here) solid poop and urea however did start off a little runny and sticky. so question being what's the best food for her and how often to attempt to lower body weight? i do have a couple of rabbits that we're given to me by the previous owner.

she's quarantined away from the others of course until she's been given a clear bill of health and then some and has a appointment with the vet just under a week away, but she's so inactive it's got me little concerned... my experience is extremely limited so please forgive my ignorance.

any more details needed i can get obviously. i'm just hoping i haven't made a grave mistake and bought a sick snake into my home (which considering the previous owner wont pick up or respond to calls has got me worried)

also sex unknown, for some reason she just rolls off the tongue a little better :p will find out at the vet hopefully

waiting for better ambient light to take photos as the flash is blowing out the color all wrong

thank you for any help. i could just be being a hypochondriact about it all, but always better safe than sorry

There was a recent thread of a bhp that was lost/stolen. check out the picture if you think your seller was a bit sus.
Apart from that sounds like pretty normal bhp behavior. To reduce the fat feed a couple of small rats every week. Dont use rabbits or jumbo rats if you want them on a diet.
If you post pics we should be able to give you some idea on a sex. Bhp are one of the easiest pythons to sex visually although it wont be 100% proven until you get it sexed.
Good luck they are an awesome animal.

I have two but not as old as your one. Mine will just curl up on the heat for a few days after a feed and I would imagine the larger the snake (feed) the longer it will sit to digest. They are also very tolerant of being handled but I do not know of any snake to be limp when being held. If you think she is fat maybe get someone experienced to look at her and maybe look at a diet because they are one snake that you do not want to keep fat.
I think the best thing to do with "it" being limp and possibly overweight is to get "it" checked out by a vet and then you will also know the sex. I take it as well that your quarantine process will be for a minimum of 6 months?

First of congratulations on getting into BHP's, especially if the one you got is legitimate and not sus like James said above! Adult BHP's are wonderful, sounds like yours has been handled and raised well, they are a docile, placid snake even in the wild. They do hiss if they are annoyed and may also head butt, but rarely bite and hold, they are baskers in captivity and will happily lay on a heat mat or under a heat lamp for days at a time with little movement. Doesn't mean they are sick, just content! Mine gets active when I take her out for exercise and when she gets mobile on the grass she usually drops her waste within a minute or two. Don't feed large rats, they are too fatty and BHP are very prone to fatty liver disease which will kill them prematurely. I alternate with rabbits and quail. Ensure fresh water is in a large heavy dish, as they will crawl over it and due to their weight knock it over! Her weight may be due to a cooling period and follicles forming if she is a she - it is the time of year she'd be looking to mate!!! Or it may just be she's overweight! My BHP's are handled regularly and appear to love the contact. When my big girl is crawling around she will lift her head and sniff me out where i'm sitting on the grass and crawl up my leg and curl up around my neck and relax happily for ages. They are a terrestrial snake so don't climb readily, and when you hold them you need to make sure you support their length and weight to avoid stressing the spine, I coil mine into two or three coils when lifting them, and like yours, I can roll my hand over head, eyes and mouth and she just pushes her head out and has a look around with no other adverse reaction. Mate, I'm just an avid hobbyist not an expert on BHP's but sounds like you got yourself a good one!!!

My bhp, which I have had since he was a hatchie, is the most placid snake I have ever seen. almost too laid back to breathe..........................until he is hungry............................................. then look out he will take half an arm in an effort to grab a rat. he is now almost 8' long so I usually use tongs for feeds now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back