New born axolotyls

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eitak

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've just had some axolotyls eggs hatch but sm unsure what to feed them . . Anyone know what I dhould feed them?

put up pics ...I wanna see them ...and why wouldnt you feed what the parent gets fed ? smaller amounts of course ..

Im pretty sure they start on live food like mozzy larvae etc. and start eating dead food as they grow a bit.

Daphnia baby brine and leave some live plants in there for them to munch on elodea seems to work well

Don't use lettuce as there is no nutritional value in it

Where do I get brine shrimp from?

I will post pics when I get home, I only have a few - like 6 . . got them from a store which sold adults but don't bother with the eggs as too much hassle . . So I took a few for fun, wish I got more now though I didn't think it was gonna be a success

Only one has hatched the others look like they r abt too, they aren't very exciting only like 5mm long . . Will look alot better in a few days if they survive *fingers crossed*

i thought you would feed them like those frozen small shrimp that you buy as fish food? most aquariums have frozen shrimp. then again, it may have to be live, in which case i have no idea. you may want to ask your nearest aquarium. or ring up a few aquariums around the place and see what they say.

Check out this site: Axolotls - Rearing from Egg to Adult

Fair bit of info there including:

"...their diet must consist solely of live food items of a very small size. They will ignore dead food until they have grown significantly. This is because, instinctively, young larvae respond to prey movement alone. It is not until later that smell will play an important role in feeding. If you cannot meet this demand for tiny live food, your larvae will starve to death, unless they eat each other"

Well worth a read.

Thanks guys for all ur help . . I called the place I got them from, they don't have brine shrimp, called a couple of aquariums they don't either . . I feel bad I should have been more organized but they developed so quickly!

I will continue the hunt ( am thinking toy stores n buying sea monkeys) and hopefully can post pics of them growing up :)

You will need to hatch the brine shrimp - the ones stocked at aquariums and pet stores will be too large for them to eat.

I strongly suggest that you read all the information that you can get your hands on, otherwise your axolotls are going to die unfortunately.

Google is your friend. Read the article I posted above - there's a link to a page specifically outlining the food that your little axolotls can and can't eat.

Edit: There is a pellet-food method may work if you cannot obtain live food quick enough. The link is in the article I posted earlier.

Last edited:
Also be careful as they grow. Have LOTS of live plants in the aquarium as they are VERY prone to cannibalism as they grow You may have to seperate them into smaller groups as they grow.

hey the easiest and best for the little guys is hard boil an egg discard the white part and feed em the yolk you will have to break it up and basically put it infront of their nose they will love it

any fish when i doubt of food boil an egg

and remember to get the left overs out of the tank as it will create amonia and kills them so as much as they will eat in say five mins then get it out

i used to breed apistogramma and wild forms of betta, you cant get much smaller fry then that i used to like to feed micro worm or viniger eel cultures they are easy and fast to setup/keep going

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back