new croc tank

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry guys never actually seen or been near a pet croc...how are they as a pet? Can you handle them? What about when they are handle...very curious about this hey!

Pretty sure you cant get them as pets in QLD but can in SA?

Good luck getting a hold of my guy at night time.
During the day you might have a bit better chances, but he is very aggressive and will get you given the chance. I have to be very careful when putting his feed dish in his enclosure because he will come bounding out of the water onto the land snapping at me.
The only time I handle mine is when absolutely necessary. Which is never as I can clean the enclosure with him still in there and have only had to move him twice and he did not like it. I didn't get a croc to have cuddles with.
As a pet they are no good. As a viewing spectacle and a living breathing dinosaur in your house they are pretty damn awesome.
Definitely the crowd pleaser when I have guests over.

adelherper- once a week? Up the food for another year or two at least. My guy will eat 100gm chicken and almost a dozen fuzzy mice in a week. Every second day. And whatever feeder fish he manages to get.

he seems happy he gets left over chicken from t few days aweek to so thats fine

finally my croc has his new tank with lots swimming room what you think
nice setup there adelherper, looks like it has all it needs. cute lil guy in there as well

Nice!, and what are the dimensions of the tank? I had a 4x2 foot tank made for an eventual Croc but I think that would be too small. Anyone's thoughts?
not sure on your state regulations but 4x2 is suitable for a small croc, although a change is needed at a max of 500mm.

There is a shop in Adelaide here with a 11 year old salty that is not even 1.5metres. I think it is underfed a bit, I also have not seen any basking lights in the tank any time I have been in the shop, and the UV lights are over a meter from the croc so its probably not even receiving any useful UV light.

Funny how they grow at different rates. My freshie is only 10-11months old and just touching 550mm. I think I may have a male as I have heard it rumble and groan a few times, but only adults do that? I will have to get it X-rayed to be positive.

haha @ adelherper, i got the same fluro batten fitting for my croc tank.

Good luck getting a hold of my guy at night time.
During the day you might have a bit better chances, but he is very aggressive and will get you given the chance. I have to be very careful when putting his feed dish in his enclosure because he will come bounding out of the water onto the land snapping at me.
The only time I handle mine is when absolutely necessary. Which is never as I can clean the enclosure with him still in there and have only had to move him twice and he did not like it. I didn't get a croc to have cuddles with.
As a pet they are no good. As a viewing spectacle and a living breathing dinosaur in your house they are pretty damn awesome.
Definitely the crowd pleaser when I have guests over.

adelherper- once a week? Up the food for another year or two at least. My guy will eat 100gm chicken and almost a dozen fuzzy mice in a week. Every second day. And whatever feeder fish he manages to get.

i think you will find that the croc in the pet shop is a female saltwater crocodile.... mine and shnakeygirls croc is only 330mm total length or 150mm snout to vent, was 260mm when we got him in march... crocs grow according to food availability like most reptiles but they don't grow rapidly either... a female at 11yrs will normally be around and just over 1.5m and males are normally 1.8 as they do grow predominately faster and larger
than a female crocodile... a 4yr old male saltwater croc will generally be 4ft long if fed regularly like the ones i worked with did and the females we're all around the 900mm-1000mm mark. and thats with just a daily feed of a peice of chicken or mullet.
keep in mind a crocodiles breeding age is about 13yrs, were the female is on or around 1.5 and the male on or around 1.8m. and then they slow there growth rate down dramatically once at breeding age...
another thing is that crocs don't require UV. well they do for vitamin D but it can be supplimented if there is no UV source through calcium and vitamin dust containing D3. and UVb bulbs only put off UVB, UVA is also required wich can only be obtained from a full spectrum white light or sun where both of those sources cover UVA and UVB... and they sun always being the best

you seem to over feed your croc and for a freshy to be aggressive i'd say it's more food responsive... that is way to much for it to be eating, it almost seems like you'd have to force feed it... they really only need a feed once a week or fortnight at a young age, ours getting fed every 2-3 weeks with mince, heart or fuzzy mice dusted in suppliments and availabilty of a broad spectrum basking lighting... and feeder fish if it chooses.
he also handles great without any mouth restraint at the moment and will handle well once he cools and stops being defensive.. not aggresive at all. aggresion being a common misconception for defensive...

Adelherper, sounds like your doing well and what is best by your croc.

my partner shnakeygirl stated some points in this thread BFG but like in most of your other threads you dismiss or disregard a womans opinion on an issue...
she knows a bit of fact as i used to work with these animals and it is an interest of hers....

Cant imagine why anyone would keep a croc, but that is cool as hell.... I guess if I did not live in New York City and had the yard space, I would keep one... LOL

hey ReptilianGuy i reckon u are right bfg23 is way over feeding my little bloke is happy eatin the amount i feed him and bfg does come across like he does disregared womens opinions but some blokes as well

well i got all my information from here
Crocodilian Captive Care FAQ (Caiman, Alligator, Crocodile)

The two big herp shops in Adelaide also feed their crocs every second or third day as juvi's.
The dealer I got my croc from had over a dozen juvi crocs in his house and was feeding them all 3 to 4 times a week. His own pet croc was 3 years old and he had slowed the feeding down, but he advised me of this.
I hardly force feed either, I place his food on his land area and he eats what he wants.
Do crocs get obese? Because I feed a heck of a lot more than you guys do but he is still in good shape. He would have the same figure as all other crocs I have seen.

Sorry guys if you think I have disregarded your opinions, i missed snakeygirls post about feeding while i was typing one up.
Please show me where else i have ignored a females opinion.

Instead of making this thread another aps argument. lets keep on topic.

What temperature do you keep the water at? And basking site?
There seems to be some different advice on how to keep these so I am opening my ears on the topic.

Adelherper- Again not wanting to start arguments, but how do you know the croc is happy being fed once a week? Its not like they smile at you and say gday.

Last edited:
Everybody is going to feed their animal what they think is appropriate. I just saying that I would never feed a Saltwater Croc the amount that you're feeding your Freshie. To me it just seems alot.

well i got all my information from here
Crocodilian Captive Care FAQ (Caiman, Alligator, Crocodile)

Bfg, can I please suggest you try and source out some Australian info on keeping them. We don't have Alligators or Caymens in Australia.

The two big herp shops in Adelaide also feed their crocs every second or third day as juvi's.
The dealer I got my croc from had over a dozen juvi crocs in his house and was feeding them all 3 to 4 times a week. His own pet croc was 3 years old and he had slowed the feeding down, but he advised me of this.
I hardly force feed either, I place his food on his land area and he eats what he wants.
Do crocs get obese? Because I feed a heck of a lot more than you guys do but he is still in good shape. He would have the same figure as all other crocs I have seen.

I would say yes, they can get obese. As my partner said, the amount you are feeding him is wayyy too much. We work on the princple of how they feed on the wild and try to replicate it. This goes for all our reps, not just the croc. You can feed them weekly, ive hard of many people doing it, but remember they dont need to eat that often. 12 mice a week, plus 100g of chicken? That seems very excessive to me. More than likely he has become food responsive which why he is so aggressive when you're in his enclosure.

Sorry guys if you think I have disregarded your opinions, i missed reptilianguys post about feeding once week while i was typing one up.
Please show me where I have ignored shnakeygirls opinions.
All of them mate.

Instead of making this thread another aps argument. lets keep on topic.

What temperature do you keep the water at? And basking site?
There seems to be some different advice on how to keep these so I am opening my ears on the topic.
Basking siite is big dock and ranges from 25-27.5...water ranges from 23-25

Adelherper- Again not wanting to start arguments, but how do you know the croc is happy being fed once a week? Its not like they smile at you and say gday.

Please link me to the care sheets you use I would love to have a read since recommendations vary so much.

I have been keeping water temperatures at 29-30degrees, and a basking site of 40-45 which he will bask under each night.

What damage am I doing by feeding so often?
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/...ther-herps-40/my-croc-getttin-n-so-fat-112135
Maybe this croc was just fed, but mine is skinnier that the one pictured.

Yes my crocodile has become food responsive. My hands only ever go in the tank when I am giving him food and cleaning the tank.

Last edited:
Can I ask how you clean the tank while he is in there? Sorry if that's a silly question to some. Also if you had a special made pit outside when it gets bigger, how would you restrain the croc go in to clean the pit? Anyone know?

Well cleaning the tank only involves using a fish tank spyhon to change water once a month.

Please link me to the care sheets you use I would love to have a read since recommendations vary so much.

I have been keeping water temperatures at 29-30degrees, and a basking site of 40-45 which he will bask under each night.

What damage am I doing by feeding so often?
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/...ther-herps-40/my-croc-getttin-n-so-fat-112135
Maybe this croc was just fed, but mine is skinnier that the one pictured.

Yes my crocodile has become food responsive. My hands only ever go in the tank when I am giving him food and cleaning the tank.

gotta take into consideration the feeding habits are different to each croc but not by much and for a small freshy that is 550mm long that is way to much food... they are a reptile not mammal. the only time over feeding would be a good practise is for them is if they are underweight...

***... water temp at 29-30 'C!!!! basking spot 40-45 'C.... i gather that site states it... we dont use care sheets for crocodiles... i've worked with these animals for some time but coudln't have my own in QLD, hence why i owned one a few months after moving here in November... the water temp for "AUSTRALIAN CROCODILES" should be between 24'C and 27'C, also take into consideration the temp of coastal Northern Australian rivers and creeks never very much warmer than 28'C-30'C'excluding still water or shallow blocked creeks... and land temps depending on how far inland the the water source they inhabit is located the most you would commonly see, on the coast is 38-42 'C in the peak of summer... NT and WA may differ and reach 44-47'C in peak of summer...

I will lower the water temperatures a little bit then.
Maybe he does not eat a full 100grams of chicken, but i feed him 4 velvet mice in one sitting, and do that 3 times a week. I also chop up chicken and offer that if he is looking skinny.

Just for some additional input, I emailed Crocodlyus Park in the NT and asked how often they recommend to feed to a single Freshie under a year old, and they said 3 times a week till its 12-18months old, then cut back to twice weekly for a following year or two.

Also, I am measuring surface temperatures under the basking site with an IR gun, ambient temps under the basking site are probably a little lower than surface temp directly under the hotspot mind you.

Thanks for the advice Reptilianguy.

Also, the temperatures I was advised to use were from the man I got the crocs from. He had over a dozen in his shed he was raising and had a 3year old pet freshie. When I mentioned a water temperature of 26degrees he was very quick to correct me and say 30.
I sort of thought he might know what he was talking about.

Obviously the water temperatures in the wild would vary from season to season?
Also, what work did you do with the crocodiles? Sounds like an awesome job.

26 is good as a base temp or for winter temps, and come our summer most tank water can get up 33'C or 5'C lower than the air temp. i used to work in a small zoo that had young crocs in it for awhile doin tours ect.. i also worked and lived with them in the wild, not with them directly but near and around and well in their habitat most times cutting the risk since i was young, hence a deep interest in them from a young'n. I also had the pleasure of swimming with one of 2m in the middle of the Torres Straits on a remote and beautiful island and reef.
now that is an awesome experience spear fishing... it was a shame i took the spear gun and not my U/Water camera i had at the time.

When I had my freshy I was told by an experienced keeper that any lower than 28 water temps can create health problems...
And my basking spot which was a UV plus heat light had temps ranging from 31-36 degrees.

Also I was feeding my lil one 2 times a week he'd get pinky's chicken small feeder fish & crickets.
Even then he was looking too small/skinny.

The person who has him now feeds a lot more often & the little guy is a lot better off for it.
You added the link in this thread & he was my old croc.
He's very well cared for & in no way needs to be force fed to eat the amount he's given
& would in fact take more if offered I'm sure.

Everyone's feeding/husbandry technique is different, some people feed less as not to have them grow too quickly
others feed more often to what they think is a healthy diet it really is a matter of personal preference. ;)

EDIT**As an example of what I am saying.. I'm sure in the wild snakes aren't heated day & night
but in captivity it is a totally different story *especially when talking about a juvenile*

you can replicate a more natural environment for your crocodile but when young
it is best to treat them just that little more fragile IMO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back