New hatchie enclosure questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering why everyone keeps there hatchies in click clacks. I get why a breeder would as they have many but when you have an enclosure why not use it, and no it will not unsettle the snake lol it's a big space they are born into in the wild.

Some of the reasons I keep mine in click clacks are , easier to make the snake feel secure, easier to clean, easier to control humidity, easier to keep a thermal gradient, cheaper to heat, easier to get the snake out. Now can you tell me what your reasons are for not wanting to keep your snake in a click clack?

Some of the reasons I keep mine in click clacks are , easier to make the snake feel secure, easier to clean, easier to control humidity, easier to keep a thermal gradient, cheaper to heat, easier to get the snake out. Now can you tell me what your reasons are for not wanting to keep your snake in a click clack?
U forgot keeping Sistema in business :)

For some reaswon I can't put a picture up from photobucket :(

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Oh there we go. Lol Thats her click clack

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

For some reaswon I can't put a picture up from photobucket :(

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Looks really good but i would put the water bowl on the floor to stop any accidents from happening.

do all your research BEFORE getting an animal....

This is what worries me with a couple of the people I've sold hatchies to. I've had so many basic questions, it's been obvious the snake is just a novelty pet and no planning or research has gone into it. It has concerned me so much, I will not be breeding again for some time now. I've got a good job, I don't need the money for the sake of the animal's safety and care. One person even refused to buy some of the recommended equipment because of the price!

My first attempt at breeding was just a project in the next step of husbandry, but keep the price high, and you can't move them. Lower it and you attract some who can't afford them for the long term.

Some people shouldn't have guns. Some people shouldn't drive, and some people shouldn't have pets.

This post is in no way against the writer of the original post.

This is what worries me with a couple of the people I've sold hatchies to. I've had so many basic questions, it's been obvious the snake is just a novelty pet and no planning or research has gone into it. It has concerned me so much, I will not be breeding again for some time now. I've got a good job, I don't need the money for the sake of the animal's safety and care. One person even refused to buy some of the recommended equipment because of the price!

My first attempt at breeding was just a project in the next step of husbandry, but keep the price high, and you can't move them. Lower it and you attract some who can't afford them for the long term.

Some people shouldn't have guns. Some people shouldn't drive, and some people shouldn't have pets.

This post is in no way against the writer of the original post.

well said, and i agree 100%.... Nobody should breed an animal is $$$ is the only factor. The only reason i got into breeding was to witness and study the process.
My reptiles are my PETS, their husbandry and wellbeing are my only priority. Breeding and making a little pocket money is just an added bonus.

Yeah I moved it down, I got worried for the same reason lol. Didn't want her using it to climb on, then having it fall on her. Haha.

And I did my research, on here actually. I was lurking around for a while, reading some stuff and decided to join up. Watched a few you tube videos too :)
Admittedly I could have researched more, and maybe been more prepared I know, but I'm not an irresponsible person, and I didn't want to make any mistakes where my hatchy was concerned.

And I just wanted to make sure I was doing everything I knew to be right at the time, Freya isn't just a "novelty" because shes tiny and cute and stuff. Nor am I just having her to say I have pet snakes and be cool or whatever. Shes my pet, I love her to bits, (even though she bites me) I'm going to look after her and hope she gets to be a big healthy girl with a long and happy life. I have always been interested in snakes, and yes this is my first hatchy. Shes doing really well so far, fed her yesterday and she got it down like a pro! A little too easy though, so I think she can definitely take a weaner mouse.

And kingsirloin, if you bred them privately, then you can deny to sell them to anyone you don't think would take care of it. Which is the same reason mum couldn't bring herself to breed our mastiff. She just couldn't bear to sell them because she would be too worried about who was buying them and if they would be treated well.

Wondering why everyone keeps there hatchies in click clacks. I get why a breeder would as they have many but when you have an enclosure why not use it, and no it will not unsettle the snake lol it's a big space they are born into in the wild.

Saying its a big space in the wild so a large tank would be fine is ignorant. Large enclosures for hatchlings can and do work however they must be set up with many small tight hides and an adequate heat gradient for the hatchling to be comfortable with the hide it chooses.

Large tanks can work but I can tell you hatchlings won't settle or feed if they aren't set up correctly.

Why click clacks are better for hatchlings:
1) Small, tight, easy for the snake to warm up and cool down without having to go far. (Hatchlings don't actually freely roam around in the wild, infact all snakes prefer to be tucked in somewhere tight when they aren't out doing essentials of survival)
2) Easy to clean.
3) Easy to find the snake and doesn't require you to pull a large tank apart to do so, unless you have nothing in it, in which case you're doing it wrong.
4) More secure, small hatchlings will much more easily escape big tanks then small tubs.
5) Heating, far easier to keep stable ambient temps and a good gradient for young snakes.
6) Far easier to monitor your snakes defecation/sloughs.

The list goes on, simply put they are far more convenient for the keeper and the snake, newbies should stick to click clacks for these reasons. Once someone understands the fundamentals of keeping hatchlings happy and healthy, then they can play around with larger tanks for them. But I think you'll find by that stage they realise click clacks are they way to go.

Sorry for the essay, I get asked this question a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had her out for a little, trying get the nippyness out as early as possible, and get her used to just being as chilled as she can be while with me. Heres some more pics :)

Sorry about the quality, mums phone is a bit crap lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back