New Lacie aviary

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremy_88

Reaction score
Thought I'de share some photos of what I've been working on for the past few weeks for my Lace monitor. I think it just needs some plants to finish it up, any suggestions?

Thanks, Jeremy

Attachments

• sideviewaviary.jpg
    sideviewaviary.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 810
  • aviaryfront.jpg
    aviaryfront.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 812
  • aviaryangle.jpg
    aviaryangle.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 737
Mate that is a cracker!! I would'nt put another thing in, love the termie mound!! fantastic

Wow

Great job Jeremy mate!..keep the pics coming when you're done and have put him/her in..looks really good

Very nice, Jeremy!

Perhaps a thicker branch to get up into the high hollow?

Where did you buy the aviary, or was it a home-made job?

Is there wire to stop them digging out?

Did you go to Universal in Punchbowl to get the termite mound?

I love it all!

Thanks everyone I'm really happy with it - to answer you ST

Not much thought went into getting the branches as it was pretty rushed but I plan on getting some more thicker branches and I agree Definitely need it for getting up to the suspended hollow log. There is wire on the floor to stop any escapies under the tea tree mulch substrate. I made the aviary from scratch with the old man over the last few weekends. The termite mound is actually from Manly Ocean World as they have removed all the reptiles and are redoing the seal pool and I got it cheap. I just sterilised it and patched up where some foam was showing, did a few bondcrete layers and threw some red sand whilst I did that to add more colour.

Attachments

• onthemound.jpg
    onthemound.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 274
o0o just noticed he is already in there..my bad :)

I made the aviary from scratch with the old man over the last few weekends. The termite mound is actually from Manly Ocean World as they have removed all the reptiles and are redoing the seal pool and I got it cheap.

So you welded it all together?

How did you find out about Ocean World doing that?

No the mesh is tie wired every 200mm or so, has heaps of strength doing it this way and isn't as permanent as welding. So if I ever want to add onto the aviary or even move it its not going to be a problem as aposed to welding everything together.

They had an ad on reptiles down under classifieds for the mound, when I went to pick it up the seal pool area where they had the lacies in for a while was all cleared out and had scafolding so they were just wanting it out of the way.

Where did you buy the wire mesh?

I noticed it's black. Did you paint it, and if so, did the metal have a smooth, somewhat polished finish to it, before you painted it?

These are the guys that I bought my mesh from The Australian Reinforcing Company, they have a branch just down the road from me so it was conveniant - $360 for 4 sheets of 3m x 2.4m sheets of galvanised mesh. I wouldnt say it had a polished finish to it before I painted but it was definitely glarey in the sun, makes such a big difference painting it darker.

I painted the mesh with just a low sheen black solarguard paint as I didn't want it to be glossy in the sun and defeating the purpose of painting it a darker colour...

Cheers, J

Thought I would bump this thread as I recently moved house and decided that I would work on improving my aviary for my monitors. I was lucky enough to score a whole lot of sandstone for free thanks to the old man who does excavation. The pieces are very heavy and very flat so it was easy to make it a stable basking area for the sunny corner. Other then this I have just moved things around really and added a couple tough plants to see how they go. I'm pretty happy with how it's turned out now as it hides the un-natural looking hide boxes/nest box and water bowl that are in there (which you can't see in the photos).

104_0989.jpg104_0983.jpg104_0985.jpg104_0982.jpg

if your going plants get something like clumping native grasses either aus or nz grasses look good
im building one soon but not quite that size for my beardies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back