New lionfish

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shonfield

Got a new lionfish the other day and I'm loving him. It might actually be one of my first pets that get a name. Pics were taken on my phone so one is pretty poor quality. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 08102009598.jpg
    08102009598.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 182
  • 08102009597.jpg
    08102009597.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 171
pretty cool make sure u dont touch him though otherwise u r in for a shock

Awesome! :D
Do you need a special permit/licence for a Lionfish?

Nah as far as I know there isn't a licensing system for fish, at least with fish that are easy/small enough to keep at home. There are the endangered and restricted fish that you are not allowed to catch. Now that I think about it the divers that catch the fish probably have a licensing system, but I don't really know.

Nice Pterios Volitans (?), very nice red colours on the fin. At the aquarium i work at we have a few of these fellas, they are hard as nails never had one die on me yet. And they arent 500 bucks they are about 79 to 150 depending on species and size. I have to say my fav of all lionfish are the dendrochirus brachypterus (fuzzy dwarf lionfish) they look like littel pieces of untill they move... Also what are you feeding yours on?

i just googled dendrochirus brachypterus and their adorable! i want one! how big do those get?

edit: omg! 15 cms! there tiny!

Last edited:
This one only cost me $75, but I got a discount because I'm friends with the owner. You could probably get it cheaper if you really wanted to. Got it from Newtown pet shop. And yeah it's a Volitans. It will eat just about everything. All frozen food it's happy to eat as long as i put the food near him, it's too lazy to move from one side of the tank to the other.

They had some fuzzy and a few other dwarf lionfish and it took me a while to decide which one I wanted.

Nice Pterios Volitans (?), very nice red colours on the fin. At the aquarium i work at we have a few of these fellas, they are hard as nails never had one die on me yet. And they arent 500 bucks they are about 79 to 150 depending on species and size. I have to say my fav of all lionfish are the dendrochirus brachypterus (fuzzy dwarf lionfish) they look like littel pieces of untill they move... Also what are you feeding yours on?

$79- $150 no wonder everyone sdays i am too cheap
may need to put my prices up,

What kind of care is involved with these guys? and how on earth do you do a full water change? DO you need to do a full water change with these guys?

There actually one of the easiest saltwater fish to look after imo. They can tolerate a fair bit of negligence from the owner. Water changes are easy. Every week or two i change about 50-70 ltrs which is about 10-15% of the tank size. They only eat 3-4 times a week as well. Compared to some fish you can get, keeping these healthy is like keeping a rock healthy.

They are reasonably easy to keep for saltwater fish, a regular water change of around 10 - 20% (depending on tank size) every two - three weeks, o good filter and keep the water quality good and they are not too hard compared to many marine fish. they need a big tank at least 250litres, fresh, live or frozen food every 3or 4 days

Awesome! :D
Do you need a special permit/licence for a Lionfish?

As far as I am aware, you need a license to catch fish for yourself, and collect live rock, from the wild. But to buy from an aquarium and captive bred it isn't a concern. If you want to know more, The Fisheries mob are the ones to talk to.

Shon that is one beautiful fish. What a gorgeous fellow he is. Good luck with him, I hope he lives long for you.

BTW, are all those spines prickly and/or poisonous?

Yes their dorsal, anal and pelvic spines are all poisonous. They will not kill a person but it hurts and can swell for up to a week or so, but usually goes down after a day. They can kill other fish quickly with a full sting.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back