New lizard suggestions needed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

s_bennets

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I've just found out from my herp vet that my poor little Thick Tailed Gecko has passed away. I know it seems utterly heartless but whenever an animal of mine dies the first thing I do is go on the hunt for another one (I suppose it's a good distraction from me feeling sad?!).

Anyway, question is, I now have a vacant :)cry:) enclosure (about 2ft wide x 2ft deep x 3ft high) that needs a new resident. I loved my gecko but I'm thinking a small dragon would be more interesting (the gecko was very flighty and I always felt guilty handling her because of this - consequently we didn't interact much). My vet suggested a central netted dragon. Does anyone have any further suggestions? Or any comments on the keeping of CNDs - are they generally happy campers? Do they try to escape much (see below)?

I'm happy to upgrade to a slightly larger tank if warranted BUT I don't want a large species and I really want to avoid keeping a species that is constantly trying to escape (it breaks my heart seeing them trying to get out - I feel like some sort of jail-keeper!!). This is perhaps why I've leant towards geckos in the past, but if anyone can think of a small dragon that fits the bill I'd be most appreciative.

Happy to buy a pair too, if they need some company.

I only have a very small collection (frogs and a snake) so my knowledge of the species out there is pretty poor.

Thanks wise-ones!!

CNDs are great... but what do you mean by trying to escape? Scratching the front of the glass? All of them will do that at one stage or another for what ever reason... could be as simple as something catching their attention outside the enclosure and wanting to investigate to a myriad of different reasons and situations and they want "out".

Ohhh I ain't wise... more of a smart A$$ really

but what do you mean by trying to escape? Scratching the front of the glass? All of them will do that at one stage or another for what ever reason... could be as simple as something catching their attention outside the enclosure and wanting to investigate to a myriad of different reasons and situations and they want "out".

Yeah, that's what I mean. I know I'm sounding precious, but it just makes me feel so guilty if I see them doing that regularly, knowing that I'm the one that's preventing them from getting out and roaming 'free' (although I do acknowledge they have a much cushier life in captivity than in the wild)....I only saw the gecko scratching at the glass once in five years, she seemed totally content in her little tank, which made me super happy! I worry that they're bored, or that they feel 'enclosed' but then again, I do have an annoying habit of 'humanising' animals so I should probably just chill out and not read so much into it!

Hence why I've just upgraded to a 7ft by 5ft enclosure for my python! Haven't seen her trying to get out since she's been in her new home :)

I loved my gecko but I'm thinking a small dragon would be more interesting (the gecko was very flighty and I always felt guilty handling her because of this - consequently we didn't interact much).

Gecko's do not need you to interact with them. They are definitely a more look-but-don't-touch reptile to keep. I have about 30 geckos and rarely, if ever, handle any of them unless I am checking them over or removing them from their tank so I can do a full clean. I believe you trying to interact with your gecko caused it to stress and eventually die in your care. If you want to interact with an animal and handle/cuddle it - buy a dog.

I know it seems utterly heartless but whenever an animal of mine dies the first thing I do is go on the hunt for another one.

It sounds like you have had a few animals die in your care and seem to shrug them off as if it is normal and a natural way of life..? As I mentioned above, I believe you trying to handle the gecko (especially one that was flighty) to 'interact' with it is what caused its death.

Reptiles are not animals that like to be handled (there are some exceptions) and merely tolerate it. It is best to keep handling any reptiles, especially geckos to an absolute minimum. If you are hell bent on keeping a reptile that you can handle, then my suggestion to you is get a bearded dragon as they seem to be more hardy and sociable...

Gecko's do not need you to interact with them. They are definitely a more look-but-don't-touch reptile to keep. I have about 30 geckos and rarely, if ever, handle any of them unless I am checking them over or removing them from their tank so I can do a full clean. I believe you trying to interact with your gecko caused it to stress and eventually die in your care. If you want to interact with an animal and handle/cuddle it - buy a dog.

It sounds like you have had a few animals die in your care and seem to shrug them off as if it is normal and a natural way of life..? As I mentioned above, I believe you trying to handle the gecko (especially one that was flighty) to 'interact' with it is what caused its death.

Reptiles are not animals that like to be handled (there are some exceptions) and merely tolerate it. It is best to keep handling any reptiles, especially geckos to an absolute minimum. If you are hell bent on keeping a reptile that you can handle, then my suggestion to you is get a bearded dragon as they seem to be more hardy and sociable...

sorry samnbaz but some of the comments you have made here are really not called for -
"As I mentioned above, I believe you trying to handle the gecko (especially one that was flighty) to 'interact' with it is what caused its death."
you have no evidence for this claim at all and your comment has come across as heartless and rude imo.

Sorry you feel that way miss2, but I am not being heartless and rude (not intentionally anyway, and if the mods think it is rude then by all means delete the post) - just stating my opinion.

I did suggest a type of dragon as the OP requested and also explained that gecko handling is to be kept at a minimum and are a look-but-don't-touch reptile to keep.

The OP never made any mention of how the gecko died, but did mention that s/he was trying to handle a flighty gecko to try and interact with it - going by this, I assume the OP was over-handling the gecko in order to get it used to them/handling (which doesn't work), which I think caused it to stress and eventually die (went off its food etc).

If that is not the case, I would like to hear what the cause of death was.

Sam,

The gecko did not die from over-handling and it's a shame you've jumped to such a drastic conclusion given that I said in my original post 'consequently we don't interact much' - to me that implies that I DIDN'T handle her too much, quite the opposite in fact! The only time she was taken out of her enclosure for handling was during cleaning, or just for a 'welfare check' to see if she was traveling okay (general check over post shedding, for example). At most, she would be in my hands less than 5 minutes per week, and during this time it was a quiet experience with limited noise/light. I would never over-handle an animal simply for my own pleasure and I can only apologise if it came across that way. I'm more than happy to discuss via PM the reason she died, it was nothing sinister or neglectful on my part, however the intent of this post is not to dissect my abilities to keep pets so I'd rather this not descend into a post mortem of why she's no longer here. But feel free to PM me if you'd like to know more, happy to discuss.

Sam, re your 'get a dog' comment: I do not keep reptiles to handle them. For that, I have cats (sorry cat haters). I know reptiles are not there for affection or cuddling. Handling is kept to a minimum, and I'm not after a lizard I can 'cuddle,' simply one that is more active. I may decide that's not the path I wish to take, and try another gecko, but I'm seeking advice so I ensure I make as informed decision as possible.

In terms of 'animals that die in my care' there's only been two in the past ten years - a frog that passed away from a viral infection last year, and a cat that died at 18 years old. I acknowledge my comment above made it appear like there were many more, however that's not the case. I am genuinely upset about the gecko passing away, but I suppose it's my way of dealing with it.

Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioed the bloody gecko at all! Just should have asked some advice on small dragons without the prologue!

Sam, I hope my response appeases your crisicisms of my ability to care for animals appropriately. One of the reasons I keep my collection small is so that I can ensure they all get appropriate care, so forgive me for being defensive, but I really found the conclusions you jumped to both unfair and inaccurate.

Back to the original post, I believe a netted dragon (or perhaps even a pair) would be the perfect choice for a tank of that size and it would be able to live happily in that its entire life. Obviously you will need to research their requirements thoroughly before you race out and get one should you choose to go in this direction but if you are already set up for a gecko I’m guessing all you really need to do is provide a basking spot temp of around 41 degrees and whack in a UV light. You didn’t go into what caused the demise of your gecko but if it was an illness you should obviously sterilize the tank and furnishings and replace the substrate. My guys are on kids play sand, which is safe and inexpensive, but desert sand looks great if you don’t mind spending the extra dosh. They do love to dig so just make sure you use a non dusty sand to reduce the chances of any respiratory infections.

These guys can also be a little flighty but are in my experience incredibly sociable and of the five I have, four of them love to be handled several times a day. Two in particular will happily sit on me as I watch TV or read the paper and another one will launch herself onto my hand in order to get out for a play whenever I put it in the tank which is super cool. Word of warning though, if you choose to handle these guys outside their tank, do so sitting on the floor as they are notorious jumpers and should they jump from your hand whilst you are standing it probably won’t end well. These guys are voracious eaters and I still get a kick out of feeding them on the floor outside the tank. One central netted dragon is an interesting little pet but put two or three together and the way they interact together is fascinating. From what you have said I reckon a netted dragon will suit you down to the ground and if you get one you won’t look back!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back