New Owner Needs Advice / Help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bozza148

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Gday all,

I am finally moving out of home in a few months which means much to my satisfaction I can finally get the pet I've been wanting my entire life, a lizard.

What I need some advice on is what I should go for. I'll be keeping the enclosure indoors and am happy to have a relatively large cage if required. I'd like something that is friendly and not shy of human contact now and then.

My first impression is that a blue tongue or small dragon would be my preference. Would these be good choices? These are the lizards I remember being around in my younger years and in particular I think i'd love a dragon the most. Other things I'd need to know are whether they are alright alone of whether it is better to get a pair.

What size cage (roomy in size for the lizard) would i need? If anyone can recommend what would be good I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for any help. This is a very exciting time for me and I can't wait to finally have my new pet.

Cheers,

Rod

If you want a dragon you can handle go for a central beardie.

Otherwise, if you want something a little smaller, a Ctenophorus species is a good choice. General Ctenophorus species kept in Captivity are: Tawny Dragons (C.decresii), Central Netted Dragons (Ctenophorus nuchalis) and Painted Dragons (Ctenophorus pictus).

One draw back from these species is that they are said to be quite Short Lived. Not often living past 5years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back