New plan to live with cane toads

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
AM - New study finds cane toad predator they never will..theres a few things that can eat the toads,but i think they are scared .
Predators

Many species prey on the cane toad in its native habitat. These include the Broad-snouted Caiman (Caiman latirostris), the Banded Cat-eyed Snake (Leptodeira annulata), the eel (family: Anguillidae), various species of killifish,[40] the Rock flagtail (Kuhlia rupestris), some species of catfish (order: Siluriformes) and some species of ibis (subfamily: Threskiornithinae).[40] Predators outside the cane toad's native range include the Whistling Kite (Haliastur sphenurus), the Rakali (Hydromys chrysogaster), the Black Rat (Rattus rattus) and the Water Monitor (Varanus salvator). There have been occasional reports of the Tawny Frogmouth (Podargus strigoides) and the Papuan Frogmouth (Podargus papuensis)[41] feeding on cane toads

yeah i wasn't being serious, but surprised at the raptors that can eat them tho....

I observe crows eating them fairly often too, smart little buggers.
the flip them over.

20 million dollars since '86... wow, what an investment in our future.
that is f'ing pathetic when the you consider how much the govt has spent on other projects.
eg 300 million $ on bribing sadam hussiens regime to buy our wheat.
1.2 mill a year. Wonder what the parliament house bar tab is?

Cant wait to smack me some cane toads, never done it due to being a perth kid xD

haha, just jokes. dont get all crazy

Its nothing great. Wack, dead toad, Wack, dead toad. It is, however, quick and humane, much better than detol or freezing

So its a bit of a catch 22 then.
If you take the bigger ones you stop them breeding the XX amount of babies, but in doing so you are letting the YY amount of babies that would have normally been eating by the large ones get ahead, and the cycle begins.....
BABY TOADS
Its the same reason crocs came back so quick. We removed their main predator - big crocs.

AM - New study finds cane toad predator they never will..theres a few things that can eat the toads,but i think they are scared .

Debunking Cane Toad Control Myths

I observe crows eating them fairly often too, smart little buggers.
the flip them over.
At my fathers plant nursery, we used to throw any toads found at the crow pick up point. The crows would watch the area and fly down when dinner was served. The toad would be stunned by a wack on the back of the head by the crow,who would then grab the toad by a hind leg and fly off. Never saw a crow eat a toad but they kept coming back.
But crows will never be a major predator of toads as they are diurnal

I don't think the government knows how serious this is! How many species has this endangered? The problem is that native mammals, and mammals in general, can learn from their mistakes like they have done so in the past... but our reptiles don't work that way, reptiles like red bellies can't learn that toad means death.

Money wise, the so called government was free of debt before the Rudd era, all thanks to P. Castello... but now? now our country is billions of dollars in debt... for what? I doubt anyone can compare the benefits our government has used billions of dollars on to the issues that our Eco-system is suffering right now...

We still have endangered species, we still have toads, we still have illegal animals on our shores... I can go on and on and on... At the end of the day, we are turning... no... we have turned our untouched country into a mess, soon we will only be able to remember and see some of our great species through pictures, like the Tasmanian tiger.

Human governments will never change... selfish, egotistic, careless and downright stupid.

My 4 cents.

D.

Its sad but true. We lost the war before they even spent $1. To have had any chance IMO they should never have lifted the ban on new introductions (only one year after the initial release) or have started a more concentrated effort in the 40s once it would of been clear the introduction was a total failure and containment may just may have been possible.

Maybe future generations will blame us for just waving the white flag and not having the courage or conviction to spend more money on conservation projects; just as we blame past generations for their total lack of forsight.

It really is disgraceful...the problem should have been solved years ago.

Imagine how quickly it would have been fixed if cows ate toads and were poisoned by them! At the very least toads should have been stopped from entering the NT. i'm very glad I experienced the Top End prior to the arrival of toads for its a very different place now.

Some interesting work being done that shows that in some localised areas toads can be completely eliminated in just 5 to 10 days by blocking their water supply...ie exclusion fencing around dams etc particularly during the late dry season in the Top End.

Much more than goannas, snakes, bluetongues, quolls, sugar gliders etc are being lost to toads...important food sources for aboriginal people have disappeared and in time the stories and knowledge about those animals will go as well!

It is a real tradgedy that the goverment has chosen to basically ignore this problem.

Imagine how quickly it would have been fixed if cows ate toads and were poisoned by them

Yes cause as soon as the government hears money falling out of the economy it's all guns blazing... but when it's our native wildlife it's all brushed under the carpet like it never existed. This is why I don't like voting... why should i choose another F%$* up to run our country and not think of the important things... they say it's our choice of government but all they do is lie and cheat and waste our tax money on roads and football stadiums when their are 100's of better things to invest in!!!

Since when were people too lazy to kill something.
You get payed 5c a can, and people go to some extremes to collect them, so make cane toads 20c a head for their leather (makes me some car seats people *wink wink*) and im sure the population would be cut down pretty damn rapidly.

I think its about time. Every dollar that is spent with the sole aim of eradicating the cane toad is going to be a waste.

Removing any number of toads from already inhabited areas will have little to no effect. The government is doing the right thing, the best option is trying to mitigating the effects of the toad on species such as the quolls and various reptile sp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back