new rack

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris1

cupcake
Reaction score
Im terrible at DIY, so my gecko rack is made from garage shelving i found on ebay. :)

Cost $269, plus all the bits and pieces (cords/thermostats/tiles/tubs) i had lying around anyway. This is a temporary solution, so once im done with the rack I can set up the garage nicely. :)
(shelving is 150cms X 2m(h) X 50cm)

Thought i'd share with those not so handy people that may be in need of something similar. :p

Attachments

• new rack.jpg
    new rack.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 304
Does the metal shelves spread the heat a lot? I would have thought timber shelves may have been better.

Does the metal shelves spread the heat a lot? I would have thought timber shelves may have been better.

Not sure what you mean by spreading the heat? I have tiles between the cord and tubs to make sure theres are no hot spots...theres a nice even strip of warmth,....

Not sure what you mean by spreading the heat? I have tiles between the cord and tubs to make sure theres are no hot spots...theres a nice even strip of warmth,....

I was thinking that having the heat cord directly on the metal shelving would firstly waste a lot of power heating the shelves and secondly spread the heat towards the front of the tub decreasing your thermal gradient.

ahh, i see what you mean, the temp gradient seems to be working ok atm, but its not even half full, it probably is a bit wasteful heatwise, which willl probably raise ambient temps in my gecko room too much once the whole thing is heated...

the metal shelving just sits in bays and can easily be replaced with melamine, i think i'll start replacing the metal shelving with melamine on the weekend so i dont have to redo the whole thing later,...

thanks for pointing that out!!

Not sure how this one would compare in price or size and it has less shelves than yours but it has wooden shelves already.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-12-11 at 7.25.55 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-12-11 at 7.25.55 AM.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 97
Not sure how this one would compare in price or size and it has less shelves than yours but it has wooden shelves already.

That's what I am using to make a bay enclosure. I am cutting melamine to create walls which will create four nice size adult Morelia/Pseudechis enclosures.

These industrial racks seem much simpler than creating everything from scratch. A little lighter too. Nice excuse to buy more animals now Chris :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back