*** New Scorpion Pics ***

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ohhhhh wow B, I absolutely love Scorpions..... these are spunkalicious.... Badddd crystal used to
keep these from tha wild too(nods sagely and smacks wrist)Ohhh I knew not what I did LOL
I fed mine on moths and crickets etc it must've been good for them cause they lived well
till ex made me set them free when he found them..... glad I set me freeeeee PMSL........
you have the most interesting creatures
C x

Ohhhhh wow B, I absolutely love Scorpions..... these are spunkalicious.... Badddd crystal used to
keep these from tha wild too(nods sagely and smacks wrist)Ohhh I knew not what I did LOL
I fed mine on moths and crickets etc it must've been good for them cause they lived well
till ex made me set them free when he found them..... glad I set me freeeeee PMSL........
you have the most interesting creatures
C x

Thanks C,...I went to my local, ( Reptiles Inc ) to get some crix and fuzzies saw this lil fella and the rest is history ;)

Did they give you the actual species or just sell it to you as a Desert Scorpion as per their website?

I'm thinking a Urodacus Spinatus or Yaschenkoi.

Did they give you the actual species or just sell it to you as a Desert Scorpion as per their website?

I'm thinking a Urodacus Spinatus or Yaschenkoi.
Look at the claws. Urodacus have large, chunky claws while the small thin claws on this scorpion suggests its a buthid, and I'm 90% sure its a vescus. But its definitely not a Urodacus sp.

Hey Ryan, this one was not labelled a species name. Cheers for the suggested possibilities ;)

Look at the claws. Urodacus have large, chunky claws while the small thin claws on this scorpion suggests its a buthid, and I'm 90% sure its a vescus. But its definitely not a Urodacus sp.

Mate have a look at the claws of the Vescus in the pic I linked too, then have a look at the claws in the OP's pic. The Vescus has nearly no bulge at all near the claw but the OP's has a noticeable one. The tail is also wrong for a Vescus in my opinion.

Do you know how to adequately care for it? I hear they arent beginner scorpions. Pet stores as usual, selling unidentified scorpions to people, probably gave bad advice, too. How did they tell you to care for it?

Mate have a look at the claws of the Vescus in the pic I linked too, then have a look at the claws in the OP's pic. The Vescus has nearly no bulge at all near the claw but the OP's has a noticeable one. The tail is also wrong for a Vescus in my opinion.
My mistake, it was a bad angle but yes it appears it is not a buthid (sorry I'm tired). May be a yaschenkoi, in which case you need a false bottom setup for it otherwise it wont last (I'm guessing the petstore didnt tell you this?) Yaschenkoi are notoriously hard to keep alive, so good luck if it is one :|

Is it just me or does it look gravid?

Last edited:
Do you know how to adequately care for it? I hear they arent beginner scorpions. Pet stores as usual, selling unidentified scorpions to people, probably gave bad advice, too. How did they tell you to care for it?

Dude chill, it's a bug. Casting generalisations about pet stores is probably as bad as what you claimed they have done. I got info on how to look after it, thanks.

Hey Ryan, this one was not labelled a species name. Cheers for the suggested possibilities ;)

No worries, I've put up a post on AIF to get a positive ID for you, then can help you out with some care suggestions if you like.

Dude chill, it's a bug. Casting generalisations about pet stores is probably as bad as what you claimed they have done. I got info on how to look after it, thanks.

Alex is unfortunately right, them not providing you with the actual species name isn't a good start. What info have the provided regarding substrate?

Yes but if its a yaschenkoi, its a fairly hard to care for "bug" :|

Honestly thanks SL I know your in it for the creature and your passion is admirable. If it does dye I will not be to upset and 15 bucks lost. Cheers for all who are kind enough to care to help ;)

Honestly thanks SL I know your in it for the creature and your passion is admirable. If it does dye I will not be to upset and 15 bucks lost. Cheers for all who are kind enough to care to help ;)

Not really the best attitude to have mate, Yaschenkoi's can live in captivity 7-10 years if looked after properly, however if you are not using a false bottom set-up its not a case of if it will die, its when.

Not really the best attitude to have mate, Yaschenkoi's can live in captivity 7-10 years if looked after properly, however if you are not using a false bottom set-up its not a case of if it will die, its when.

Your correct was a bit of a stupid comment,..I will look after it as much as it needs for as long as it needs and do appreciate your advice/help fellas.

Your correct was a bit of a stupid comment,..I will look after it as much as it needs for as long as it needs and do appreciate your advice/help fellas.

No worries, its unfortunate that pet stores sell these and don't provide the right information with them. They probably also didn't tell you that Yaschenkoi's are not very surface active scorpions, they will sometimes stay in their burrows for months on end. The substrate you have it on is very unsuitable for it, it needs red desert sand at least 150-200mm deep using the false bottom set-up that Alex provided you a link to.

Still trying to positively ID it, it could be a Urodacus Yashchenkoi or a Urodacus Elongatus. Once we figure out which it is I can provide more detail on care as there is a big difference. How big is it currently?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back