*** New Scorpion Pics ***

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No worries, its unfortunate that pet stores sell these and don't provide the right information with them. They probably also didn't tell you that Yaschenkoi's are not very surface active scorpions, they will sometimes stay in their burrows for months on end. The substrate you have it on is very unsuitable for it, it needs red desert sand at least 150-200mm deep using the false bottom set-up that Alex provided you a link to.

I'd like to say the advice on this actual invert may have been not the best but If you need any info on any reptile that's in captivity you can bet these people know their stuff. Just feel I have to redeem some cred for this business. The person I spoke to told me they don't label the spiders or scorps by species name as many come into the shop and state that it's this or that, so to save grief I understand. Thanks again for your advice/help I do appreciate it and will look into providing the best care possible.

That makes sense, smithers. The invert hobby is fairly small so you'd understand pet stores dont really know.

No worries, its unfortunate that pet stores sell these and don't provide the right information with them. They probably also didn't tell you that Yaschenkoi's are not very surface active scorpions, they will sometimes stay in their burrows for months on end. The substrate you have it on is very unsuitable for it, it needs red desert sand at least 150-200mm deep using the false bottom set-up that Alex provided you a link to.

Still trying to positively ID it, it could be a Urodacus Yashchenkoi or a Urodacus Elongatus. Once we figure out which it is I can provide more detail on care as there is a big difference. How big is it currently?

Thanks Ryan, I'll take some more pics now for Id, let me know what you need in the shot, tail,head,claws etc. Measuring now

Thanks Ryan, I'll take some more pics now for Id, let me know what you need in the shot, tail,head,claws etc. Measuring now

Just a few more from different angles etc. Some details of the claw might help but since it's only young they still have some developing to do.

Your Scorpions still "ROCK" B, and I have no doubt you will care for it wonderfully. I always look forward to looking at the piccy's of the creatures
you have. Thank-you for sharing
Crystal XXXX

I m sorry to say smithers, that this is one pet of yours that I dont think youll be able to make me think "oh wow thats cute, might have to have one of these". Ill stick with the gecko's :D

I m sorry to say smithers, that this is one pet of yours that I dont think youll be able to make me think "oh wow thats cute, might have to have one of these". Ill stick with the gecko's :D

They might not be cute, but they are still fascinating little creatures to own, I have three juveniles at the moment that are all siblings that all show completely different behaviours to each other :)

It looks gravid, or fed well. Most likely the latter as it seems young.

Okay according to the people on AIF, its a Urodacus elongatus, one of my favourite scorpions. It'll grow to over 10cm, but they are much easier to keep alive than yaschenkoi.

They might not be cute, but they are still fascinating little creatures to own, I have three juveniles at the moment that are all siblings that all show completely different behaviours to each other :)

Nah, sorry, they make me feel the exact same way as spiders do... all creeped out.. I love yours and snakeluvvers enthusiasm for them though! :)

Thanks Smithers, I am going to agree with the others now I've seen these pics with it being Urodacus Elongatus. Much better outcome as they are a lot more surface active and a lot easier to care for.

Okay according to the people on AIF, its a Urodacus elongatus, one of my favourite scorpions. It'll grow to over 10cm, but they are much easier to keep alive than yaschenkoi.

Phew a good outcome :) Thanks Alex n Ryan for the caresheet and help posting over on AIF for a correct I'd. Im with Crystal your passion and enthusiasm is great to see.

Phew a good outcome :) Thanks Alex n Ryan for the caresheet and help posting over on AIF for a correct I'd. Im with Crystal your passion and enthusiasm is great to see.

No worries Smithers, welcome to the wonderful world of Inverts, it's hard to stop at one ;)

actually, looking at its claw
it looks like a 2nd instar urodacus elongatus

i wouldnt bother making it a false bottom setup, espicially considering its only 2nd instar.
a takeaway container with a 50/50 cocopeat and sand mix if fine, have a hide for it at one end (piece of bark)

Last edited:
actually, looking at its claw
it looks like a 2nd instar urodacus elongatus

i wouldnt bother making it a false bottom setup, espicially considering its only 2nd instar.
a takeaway container with a 50/50 cocopeat and sand mix if fine, have a hide for it at one end (piece of bark)

Yep already came to that conclusion after a few false starts Nick. Thanks.

Thanks again guys for your help in the ID dept and interest in it's care,...just thought I'd update,...Noticed it eating a crix this morn tucked under his piece of bark. Will go onto AIF and post a few soon. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back