New to Reptiles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hezza

Reaction score
Hi guys I want to get my first snake I live in WA I dont know whether to get a SW Carpet Python or a stimsons python I dont really mind nippy to start but I do wish to be able to handle the snake alot as I do like being hands on with animals. I've done like 2months of research and if theres any more tips for thisNew pet.

Hey, welcome!

If your new to snakes and want something small I'd say spotted or stimsons, their small snakes that grow to about 1.5 meters and like being handled, but I know of heaps of people that will suggest the Woma python, because of their beautiful inquisitive personality, but they do tend to grow well over a meter or 2.

PS, please do heaps of research before buying your new buddy. :p

Last edited:
Unfortunately being in WA the only two snake options are the stimsons and sw carpet python. When getting a snake what would you recommend a hatchling or other as ive heard mix reports.

I just noticed your in WA, I would suggest a hatching is better as you get more time to bond with him/her. Just make sure it's feeding, shedding etc fine.

A breeder is your best bet, pet shops don't know a thing sadly

Ok thanks but another question hate to be a pain. question what sort of enclosure would you recommend I've red that the exo terra glass terrarium are good but hard to keep warm. But then the reptile one wooden terrarium are pretty goodor I am also thinking about prehapes making my own as I feel I could make somthing just as good for alot less or are the commercial ones better?

It's fine, depends on what u like the look of, I'm going an Exo Terra as I love the look of them...but if u want DIY's a great fun to build, it's up too u.

Ok thanks but another question hate to be a pain. question what sort of enclosure would you recommend I've red that the exo terra glass terrarium are good but hard to keep warm. But then the reptile one wooden terrarium are pretty goodor I am also thinking about prehapes making my own as I feel I could make somthing just as good for alot less or are the commercial ones better?

If you are getting a hatchling you will have some extra time to decide on this one. A hatchy should be kept in a 'click-clack' enclosure to begin with. There is a thread in the "noteworthy" section on how to make one of these.

Glass is terrible for maintaining heat but not impossible. In my opinion melamine or similar sealed wood is better but opinions may differ.

Enjoy the research :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back