new to snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

i have just got a childrens (liasis maculosus) python and have had it for 3weeks. and i was seeing what was the best way to handle it it kepts on bite me and after it does bite me i dont pick it up i just leave it alone. And i was told after 3 or 4 times of handling it. it will stop bitting true or not. :roll:

Don't worry, just be gentle with it and don't react to the bites and it will gradually stop biting, they only bite out of fear and just need to learn your no threat.
Oh, and Liasis is the old name, it's now Antaresia, and Antaresia maculosus is the Spotted or Small Blotched Python, Antaresia childreni is the Children's Python ;)

I FIND MACCS ARE SNAPPY,OTHER CHILDRENI ARE BETTER..BEING YOUND IT IS INSTINCT IT SHOULD SETTLE DOWN..

My tip for handling babies to help them get used to you is to hold them in one cupped hand and with the other hand cupped also make a little roof over their head so it is nice and dark and warm and they feel safe. (You may need to do a bit of manipulating to get them all gathered up properly!) Your scent will be really strong and your baby will learn to associate your smell with feeling safe.

I don't know how scientifically correct this is, or if in fact it is really bad for baby snakes and I've caused them life-long psychological damage. But it's worked for me, and the babies seem to like it.

aawwww shucks lil, thanks!!

I have a stimson and he has never attempted to bite, he is a sweet natured fella that is very calm being held. Maybe there are more differences between the Antaresia that I thought...

hi guys! i keep water pythons usually and juvies can be rather snappy, but not to long ago i aquired a spotted python for my daughter and man this thing was savage..
basically i handle my snakes for about 15 minutes a day and they do get use to you really quick. as soon as you take the hide off them, grab it quickly but gently before it can react and simply hold it .
let the snake do its thing between your fingers for a while and put it back.
before you know it...... instant friend.

thanks guys you guy are a big help to poeple like me that is just getting in to it and more people should start having reptiles as pets cents i posted my form on hear he is more happy and i would say in a week or more he will stop bitting me which is great once again thanks guys

Hi mate.
I know exactly where you are coming from. I just got my first herp "a coastal" and he certainly loves to bite me. I have not had the time unfortunately to handel him as often as I would like but I keep getting told he will calm down. I have had him 10 days now and during this time he has shed and had a good feed which also stopped me picking him up. Stick with it and I will do the same. How about some pics of your fella!!

hi neonate
i havent got any pics at the moment i will work on trying to get some in the next couple of weeks it harder when u dont have a digital camera and i dont take many pics any more. but i wll see what i can do for u.

And i was told after 3 or 4 times of handling it. it will stop bitting true or not. :roll:

Not true! think about it, your a tiny snake, your only defence is your mouth, you are suddenly picked up by a huge 'predator', as far as you know it intends to eat you, What do you do????
Well Duh! its a no brainer freind!
But the good news is that they do settle and get used to handling more over time. However if you startle your snake, its gonna bite!
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back