newbie question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jgritty

Reaction score
Hi all
I have finally got myself a python after ten long years of waiting, I have bought a yearling spotted a few weeks ago and love her. I have done plenty of book research before i made the commitment but lack hands on or typical "learn from experience" experience so i appricate all the help i can get. I have a question in regards to shedding. My girl is starting to shed about mid way down her body but she never exihibted the milky phase pre shed that is descibed in all info on shedding. Is this something i should worry about or is this sometimes normal (for those that have not guessed its my first shed) all info would be much appriciated
Thanks
Gritty

Firstly sometimes you can miss the opaque (blue) stage if the snake hides away but the shedding halfway down is not normal as it a good healthy shed should start at the head and come off in one continuos piece. There could be many factors that can cause this and many solutions to fix it. Maybe have a look at one of the threads on here using the search bar for bad shed and you will get your answers.

It could have not shed fully the last time it did a shed , reasons for this can include too small of an enclosure if that is the case dont stress because if you have a big enough viv for your python to do its next shed in the old skin will come off with your next shed, for now you could try bathing your snake in warm water this usually helps get off old unshed skin.

It could have not shed fully the last time it did a shed , reasons for this can include too small of an enclosure if that is the case dont stress because if you have a big enough viv for your python to do its next shed in the old skin will come off with your next shed, for now you could try bathing your snake in warm water this usually helps get off old unshed skin.
Both my BHP's do a complete shed within its hide and so does my woma. The size of the enclosure does not have a bearing on a shed.

Last edited:
With these sorts of things there is no cause for worry as long as things happen the way they should. In this instance if he sheds without issue (not coming off in flakes/tearing/sticking to him) it's fine. It's quite possible he was hiding away and you missed the pre shed milkiness. It may also have been brief. Further it can sometimes be less noticeable in smaller darker colored snakes.

It's easy as a new owner to stress about these sorts of things and these responses can help put your mind at ease. I have generally found however that you won't need to ask if you should worry. If you should worry it's pretty obvious. It's good to see how observant you are but snakes are pretty hardy given that proper husbandry is adhered to. Enjoy the new addition :).

Edit
I took your post to mean he is shedding normally and is halfway done. Please clarify if you mean the shed only started halfway down the body.

Yeah, I thought you meant it was half way through as well?

Hi all
Thanks for all the advice on closer inspection she had started at the head and must of rubbed a patch of skin off half way i have since spoke to the breeder i got her from gave her a soak and she has now fully shed
Thanks again
Gritty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back