Newbie question.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hph

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have a yearling diamond thats constantly inflating its neck around the lower jaw region. It didnt feel lumpy or anything and its able to suck it back in. Should be worry about this :?:

Actually its staying on the end where th heat mat is, forgot to mention that she seems to keep her head up a lot of the times.

me thinks its heat related, ever thought of globes instead? or lowering the heat on the mat? what temp the mat getting too?

The temp cannot be set on these resun mats. The class bottom feels wamr but not hot to touch. I'll try a globe.

Not to hi-jack the thread but my adult male childrens inflated his bottom jaw a little the other day when I startled him and he tried to bite me (too slow :)). Has anyone seen this before?

puffs out its neck, staying on the heat mat, holding its head up.
Sounds like the start of a cold to me. Does it have bubbles or
mucus from the nose/mouth?

Yes, found a bubble on one of its nostrils this afternoon.
The tank is about 23deg at the cool end atm. Anything I can do to help ?

Id just take it to a vet... not so much for the jaw but the bubbles on the nose

From my expirience my snakes puff thier necks out a little just prior to shedding. But if you found a bubble then i would say respiritory infection. Where in NSW are you?

I'm in the Lidcome area. I notice that its makes a slight clicking noice when breathing, not constant though.

Sounds like advanced stage of type 1 pneumonia. Your animal needs a CONSTANT warm area,the heat pad is probally your best bet. If its on a thermostat and keeps turning off and on all the time it probally will soon develop in to type 2 pneumonia, thats when the real trouble starts.Try conecting the heat pad to a ligth dimmer and set it so there is a constant warm spot to lie on.Pneumonia in reptiles is almost always caused by stress, wrong temps are one of the first things to stress the animal out enough, but even when kept at right temps things like handling to much, being kept in high taffic areas,ie living rooms etc can cause pneumonia.Once a reptile gets pneumonia it will have it for life, it can be kept at bay by de-stressing, but will always reapear when stressed.
Rob

Yes, and seek medical help from an experianced herp vet. Donot let a just any vet experiment on it as it will more than likely die. If in dougt get your vet to ring Clayton Knigth,-Deception Bay. The Guy is a legend.
Rob

Recovered,but not feeding

It has recovered from its previous condition but is refusing to feed. The mat is on 24hrs and its no longer spending all its time on the mat. I'd tried thawed mice, day old chickens, live mice, fresh kill etc but it doesn't seem to show the slightest interest. I'm a bit worry cos it looks to be losing a bit of weight around the neck and body regions. :( :(

RE: Recovered,but not feeding

Give it time. Its recovering. Keep trying every 10-14 days with a smallish prey item of what it was previously eating.
Rob

Like Rock said keep it constantly warm for now and get to a vet asap as if it's blowing bubbles it's already in an advanced stage and will nedd a few doses of baytril to come good and as Rock said they can keep it for life and it can reappear when the animal isn't kept in the right conditions.I have a male jungle this happened to over a year or so ago and he was the one mating in a recent thread i posted.I very rarely handle him and just let him do what he does best and be a snake!

Still not showing interest, tried pinkie mice and rats. Put a pinkie rat into her mouth last nite and she just spat it rite out.

have you taken it to the vet yet. if so i would do what you have been advised to do.

andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back