Newbie questions about owning a snake in Cairns

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPPWP

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I've wanted a snake since I was a kid and, now that I'm living away from home, this year I finally got my wish! Woohoo!

My sister works at a vet in Adelaide and one of her workmates is going to talk to me about owning snakes and teach me how to build an enclosure with a TV cabinet.

What I need is some help with is whicht species I should go for, and how to manage the enclosure, in a warm and humid climate like Cairns. I'm a full time uni student, so I can't afford air-conditioning. My house is reasonably cool (for Cairns), but will a fan suffice for hotter days? How can I deal with high humidity? I've seen some posts claiming that Cairns is warm enough to forego a heating mat/rock/lamp. Someone else in a similar situation in another thread was advised to look at a hardier species like a darwin carpet python. This is my biggest issue, so I'd really appreciate any relevant help pertaining to coping with this climate without access to an aircon.

Elsewise, I don't mind bitey-ness, and I'd love a snake which is tolerant of being handled. I've been keeping an eye on other species advice threads and I really love the looks of the stimsonis and the jungles, even if the latter are a bit feisty. Also, if anyone knows of some reputable dealers in the Cairns I'd be very grateful if you could hook me up.

Oh and for further reading it seems to me that Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons is pretty highly recommended. Yay, nay?

Heaps of thanks in advance for any help you can give me, guys. Sorry for the wall of text.

hey mate jungles like a fair amount of humidity so you should be fine. as for being snappy well each snake is different imo. i have a jungle that is so placid. some say the brighter the colour the more agro but who knows for sure.
darwin carpets would be good. heat will be the least of your worries unless your trying to keep a temperate species like diamonds that are from a cooler climate. do your research and go from there. most desert species are not adapted to humidity but sometimes you can control humidity. breeders choice cat litter is said to reduce humidity so maybe this will help you.

as for the book i have it and found some of the info great. also try reading some of the info on snakeranch web site and also on sxr's site.

handling with most species is not a problem just dont handle within a few days of feeding and allow them to shed properly before handling. also try and keep your hands clean when handling and after as germs and bacteria can be transfered and you dont want to make yourself or your snake sick.
good luck with everything.

cairns

hello i am also in cairns would consider myself as a reputable breeder in the comunity i have a clean setup and i have just completed a couple of tv units converted into snake enclosures you are welcome to come have a chat if u like send me a pm and i will get back to u kind regards blake

Since doing more research I've discovered that womas aren't as expensive as I'd thought they were, and I really like them too. How would a woma handle the climate in cairns (vs a jungle)?

Thanks for the replies so far. @cairnsplecs, thanks for the offer - I'll get in touch - but I should add that I'm visiting family in Adelaide at the moment and won't be back in Cairns until the end of January.

Last edited:
I live in Cairns, you can keep most species of pythons happy in our climate, A woma will be fine and would be a better first choice as opposed to a jungle imo, If your after any info feel free to pm me

Best to get a local species from a local breeder. That way you KNOW the snake will be comfortable in local climate all year round. Peter Krauss lives near by and he has got some nice snakes from time to time. PM me when you get back to Cairns and put in touch with him or see what cairnsplecs has got (I don't know him / her).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back