Newer Invert pics (pic heavy :O)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

richoman_3

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Been dieing to get pics of some reptiles or atleast beg my parents to drive me for a herp, but hasnt been happening with this rainy weather :/
so i got some inverts out and took some pics....
i know most of you wont really care lol, just wanted to share something :p
if you want me to keep posting them let me know :)

once again sorry for the crappy pics, but soon they shall be good as im going to get a better camera then this point and shoot :D
enjoy....

Half Tiger/Half Green Ethmostigmus Rubripes - Cqld
DSC00617.jpg

DSC00605.jpg

Sa Mallee Scolopendra Morsitans
DSC00647.jpg

DSC00629.jpg

Scolopendra Leata E ... - coudnt be more than happy to finnaly find someone who found one and bring them in the hobby !!!
SDC10008.jpg

SDC10011.jpg

Cormocephalus Aurantiipes .... - a really odd form, i like to call it the 'Devil pede'
DSC09922.jpg

DSC09910.jpg

And Cercophonius Squama ... most of you Victorians should be familiar with this scorp :p
DSC00563-1.jpg

DSC00571.jpg

Some nice inverts :)

Do you breed the pedes?

i want to try but its very difficult
they are impossible to sex visibly (except scolopendra morsitans - males have ridges on their terminal legs) and they are extremely territorial.
i want to give it a crack though this year :)

Thanks for the info! It would be great to be able to reproduce them with some regularity, and get them established in larger numbers like other inverts.

Thanks for the info! It would be great to be able to reproduce them with some regularity, and get them established in larger numbers like other inverts.

no worries, they are my fave inverts.
its a shame that not alot of people are interested in them :( ... which i sorta like coz then everyone asks me bout them :p
when i get my hands on rarer species/forms i always pinch myself with how lucky i am and always would love to breed them!, but its difficult, and i have to try it soon :p
Overseas people breed there pedes - there is much more people interested in them.

If you have any Q's bout them let me know, im always keen to help :)

I like the first pic of Scolopendra Leata E

they are a small pede, but awesome - there is five colourforms of S.Laeta (A,B,C,D,E) - all are found in WA. and some are spread round Australia - C is the most common (black with red stripe)
Laeta E is mostly found in WA like most pedes (you cant collect inverts from WA or NT) and there is only a few spots in SA and NSW they are found.
they arnt that common and are the only S.laeta colourform that do not have a stripe. This is one is from SA and after a couple of years of searching happy to get one

I'd love to get a 'pede'. Got my first scorp tonight - Urodacus manicatus :) Would love to get a U. yaschenkoi, they are awesome!

Would you mind informing me in my total ignorance, what exactly are the laws in different states about invert collecting?

inverts are legal to collect, except in National Parks and in Western Australia and Northern Territory where you need to obtain a just about impossible permit to get. Also you need a permit if you are collecting Tarantulas or Urodacus scorpions in Queensland

Would you mind informing me in my total ignorance, what exactly are the laws in different states about invert collecting?
In QLD, SA, NSW, VIC and ACT you can catch and keep without license (Tarantulas are restricted in some states), I THINK in NT your not allowed to collect, and in WA its illegal to keep inverts altogether.

about those pedes, i have found heaps when ive gone bushwalking and stuff, and everytime i find them they like stick thier tails up at me and display those two pincers. I thought about picking them up but i really have no idea what those pincers would do to me, are they in anyway dangerous?

In QLD, SA, NSW, VIC and ACT you can catch and keep without license (Tarantulas are restricted in some states), I THINK in NT your not allowed to collect, and in WA its illegal to keep inverts altogether.

I wouldn't say illegal alltogether but generally they have to be imported on display licenses. Yet I can buy a $5 can of spray and kill em

about those pedes, i have found heaps when ive gone bushwalking and stuff, and everytime i find them they like stick thier tails up at me and display those two pincers. I thought about picking them up but i really have no idea what those pincers would do to me, are they in anyway dangerous?
The "pincers" are actually legs and are harmless, its the head you need to worry about...
If you get bitten you can expect excruciating pain and vomiting for a couple of days.

the 'pincers' they raise when they are agressive are their terminal legs (back 2 legs), the other side of the body - the head, contains venomous pincers which give a hell of a nasty bite which will guarantee a couple of days of pain, not said to be deadly though.
dont touch them with your hands, use a container to scoop them up.
get some pics of the ones you get - or catch them even ... would love to see what you find

Oh WA, you so silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back