No Movement Advice/Trouble with Previous Owner

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

radioinvader

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I need some help and I'm a bit nervous about contacting the official website. Yesterday I purchased a spotted python from someone. I got my RW license for Queensland, where I live, and I purchased a record book at the same time. I took the snake home, and upon going about filling out my record book and reading further into the info sheet found out that I was supposed to have done a movement advice, something filled out by the seller. The seller never mentioned anything about a movement advice, something he was supposed to be responsible for. I was told that the snake was from a breeder, which means (I'm hoping) that he actually has a license. I've asked him for the required information from his license and the form number for the snake to put in my book, and I'm waiting for a response.

I'm terrified of getting dinged by the authorities for not having proper record keeping and keeping to the regulations. I don't know what to do if he doesn't or can't give me the information. I don't even have a name to contact, all I have is the cell phone number from the Gumtree website. I've told him if I can't get the information then I can't keep the snake, but I've already bought it and I'm worried that if I don't get what I need to keep it legally then I'm stuck if he won't take it back. I'm a first time pet owner and I come from Canada, where a license isn't even necessary. This is all new to me and I'm a nervous wreck right now because I can't afford the fine for not having all this done correctly.

I had no idea that I would need all of this information, and I would have asked for it prior had I known. I know it's my fault because I didn't get the information I needed before actually getting the snake, but I need help and I don't know how to fix this if he avoids contact with me or won't take back the snake.

[HELP][/HELP]In the same boat mate if you can't get the details you will just have to go to ehp and tell them what's happened they will likely just give you a warning. I have a thread on here about my troubles I'm basically still waiting to sort mine out months after purchase .QLD gov need to be a lot farken clearer with rules and regs for first time license holders as I had no clue till I went to do movement advice seller said nothing about it either ( they are a large reputable breeder) so I didn't find out till I read the fine print on the electronic movement advice.

Last edited:
Try and get the stuff off the guy over the weekend. If no luck ring the department on Monday and explain what has happened to them and they will advise you what you need to do to legally keep the snake. You will most likely get a warning about making sure to get a movement advice next time but that is all. They will not ping you for one mistake, especially since you have just gotten the license and did not know.
Cheers Cameron.

Try and get the stuff off the guy over the weekend. If no luck ring the department on Monday and explain what has happened to them and they will advise you what you need to do to legally keep the snake. You will most likely get a warning about making sure to get a movement advice next time but that is all. They will not ping you for one mistake, especially since you have just gotten the license and did not know.
Cheers Cameron.
It's not just the movement advice, though. I didn't realize I also needed his license information, name and address and the form number for the snake until I went to fill out my record book. I texted him a few hours ago and still no response. I don't know what's going to happen with the department if I call and tell them I got a snake from someone who didn't provide a movement advice, plus is refusing contact with me over the personal information and licensing if he even has a RWL. I suppose calling is better than ignoring the problem, because if they do a spontaneous inspection it's going to look even worse. The whole thing is just a bit nerve wracking. All I have is the stupid cell phone number from Gumtree.

All the license information is included with the movement advice so when you get that you will have all that information. Just ring them and explain the situation like you have just there. Pass on the contact and any other information you have to the department about the seller so they can then pursue it. If you can still would be an idea to screenshot the add on Gumtree or bookmark it. As long as you work with them they will help you and you will not get in trouble. The quicker you can ring them up and explain the situation the better. I know it will be nerve racking for you but try to relax this weekend. There is nothing else you can do right now with it until the seller gets back to you so no point stressing yourself out. If he doesn't get back to you about the details ring them up first thing Monday.
Cheers Cameron

Okay, thank you for the advice. It's relieving to hear. I'll be sure to contact the department on Monday if the seller doesn't give me the information, and I now know that if I purchase a snake from someone to make absolute sure I get the movement advice confirmed fist. I really wish they were a little more clear on the regulations for the RWL instead of having a page front and back filled with convoluted information.

If you bought it off a seller in Qld it's on the seller to sort out forms. there are 4 parts to a movement advice in Qld which all have the same details of seller/buyer.

Part 1: to be signed by seller and returned to ehp within 7 days of moving wildlife.

part 2: to be signed by seller and accompany the wildlife in transit and kept by buyer as record.

part 3: signed by seller and to accompany wildlife in transit then signed and dated by buyer and sent to ehp within 7 days.

part 4 signed and kept by seller for there records.

and then if your importing interstate to make it a bit more fun for you it's on the Buyer to sort out all paperwork.

I was of the understanding that a movement advice was not necessary unless it was an interstate trade... Or that might just be Vic...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back