Non-Incubation of Vitticeps' Eggs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dixilizards

Reaction score
Hi All,

We recently had 13 of 16 eggs hatch that we kept just on a shelf in our reptile room. These eggs were laid early November (November 3rd), placed in a 50/50 vermicuite/water mix and where kept without any temperature regulation in a room with a variable air temperature, measured to be of a minimum and maximum of 13 - 38 degrees celcius.

These eggs began hatching the 8th of January and were completely hatched by the 9th of January. These eggs had almost no further care after being placed into the vermiculite apart from removing 3 eggs over the incubation period and the addition of water 2 times.

The question being, has anyone else had a similar experience with eggs from a species that is said to be very restricted in temperature fluctuations, i.e. greater that 1 - 1.5 degree changes WILL cause egg death??

Look forward to responses.

That is definitely an interesting experiment/technique you guys have done with incubation...

One would think that they wouldn't have hatched due to such extreme fluctuations in temps.

It will be interesting to see what other responses you get.

That is quite interesting, especially since people swear by keeping incubating eggs under a strict and tight thermal gradient

This was the first time we had ever 'DARED' to not incubate eggs conventionally in an incubator, it was just a spare of the moment decision that we have actually decided to try with a few other species this season.

I must we were quite taken back when we saw the first few pop out and then the next day for all to be running a much just took us completely by surprise.

The fluctuations occured daily, obviously not to these extremes everyday but each day their temps were at the mercy of the room.

I wouldn't have thought 13-34 or so would cause any harm at all, but I would have thought 38 degrees would be a problem.

I've incubated turtle eggs at room temperature, between about 12 and 35 degrees, with perfect hatch rates. I've split clutches between constant 31 and varying temperatures with massively different incubation periods.

Most lizard eggs will hatch at summer room temperatures of 10-35 degrees as long as they spend a lot of time in the 20-30 degree range, and many snake eggs are the same. Without storing them in the fridge or oven I haven't been able to find temperatures which would stop Brown Tree Snake eggs from hatching.

Pythons usually keep their eggs at around 30 degrees for most of the day (contrary to popular belief, it is not unusual for them to get cooler at night) but eggs of most other species don't have a mother to act as a constant temperature incubator, so they experience a lot of variation.

It does make sense that fluctuating temps wouldn't be a major issue,

being that in the wild there is no way of keeping steady temps day/night.

I think it's more an issue that breeders are not willing to risk loosing any hatchlings etc?..

Sdaji, you bring to light some very good information.

I would still have presumed that sitting at 33+ degrees for days during our heat blasts and below 17 degrees on our cooler days would have impacted rather heavily on the eggs survival however it seems to have had no impact, infact this clutch was no different to several of our other clutches in hatch rate, the only difference being the time frame of laying to hatching being 82-83 days as compared to 55-60 days.

I had vitticeps eggs I 'forgot' to put back in the incubator (too much to drink??), & after 3 or more wks in the shed, daytime temps over 40, they hatched pretty much on time after 8&1/2 wks. 98% hatch rate. Lucky I'm slack emptying old containers:rolleyes:

this is a very good and interesting thread.
it sounds like incubators are no longer needed for eggs to hatch.
maternal incubation would be suffice it seems.
i like the idea of maternal incubation and cant wait til mine get big enough to breed.

I had some keelback eggs hatch in a plastic bag sitting on the shelf one year. Didn't bother to check temps but the time of year would suggest between 18 and 24 degrees.

I have 3 or 4 species of lizard eggs sitting on a shelf in my reptile room atm, and I know they will hatch, they always do. Eggs are tougher than people give them credit for, the main problem with eggs dieing is from low calcium / mineral levels from deficient females, caused from incorrect heating / feeding regimes.
As for high temps, in past years I have had dodgy incubators get to the low to mid 40's for short periods and still successfully hatched the dozen or so species cooking at the time, though high temp are not good for a few reasons and should of course be avoided if possible.

just curious and hoping someone can shed some light. I had beardie eggs hatch on 31 dec. they were laid on the 21 nov. thats 40 days. I had them in a sealed chinese food container, on vermiculite, in an unused tank that I would put the lamps on when ambient temp was low. 10 out of twelve lived and are all feeding well on s crix. They look to be normal hatchy size, just want to know if anyone else has had prem dragons like this. Sorry if I hijacked the thread:)

just curious and hoping someone can shed some light. I had beardie eggs hatch on 31 dec. they were laid on the 21 nov. thats 40 days. I had them in a sealed chinese food container, on vermiculite, in an unused tank that I would put the lamps on when ambient temp was low. 10 out of twelve lived and are all feeding well on s crix. They look to be normal hatchy size, just want to know if anyone else has had prem dragons like this. Sorry if I hijacked the thread:)

reptile eggs develop at a predicable rate depending on temperature, if the temperatures vary, the hatch time will and it only takes a degree or two to greatly change the time frame..

Dixilizards and Sdaji, are you measuring egg temperatures, room temperatures or something else?

Hatch out rainforest dragons every year using the "shelf" method with temps fluctuating between 17-38C.

This year I've incubated all my golden tailed geckos in a similar fashion(20-35C) to see if they is a different gender ratio to the 100%males I've been getting. Got 7 hatchlings and waiting to see what they turn out to be

just wondering i have my thick tail eggs sitting on vermiculite i did a mixture 50/50 and i have the eggs inside a diy incubator, but read above that someone added water twice over the 2month period, i have not added any water and im getting a reading of 50-60% on the hydrometer.

The eggs and containers would have a thermal buffering effect. Most eggs also have a modicum of thermal inertia, and can suppress overheating for a short time. But the incubation needs of different species are vastly different. Water dragon eggs will hatch after constant incubation at 20 degrees, for example.

The eggs and containers would have a thermal buffering effect. Most eggs also have a modicum of thermal inertia, and can suppress overheating for a short time. But the incubation needs of different species are vastly different. Water dragon eggs will hatch after constant incubation at 20 degrees, for example.

High end temps and low end temps were held for days as the room was subject to not only day/night heat from each of the enclosures but also the external heat radiating in through the building.

We didn't measure daily temps, but during our heat waves the room was definately 33 degrees plus for days before dropping to lows for days.

The container was also sitting above a heated enclosure, infact directly above the 2ft flourescent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back