Non-venomous keelback

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lizardjasper

Reaction score
In yesterdays paper.
Baron’s our first Year of Snake bite victim | Rockhampton Morning Bulletin

THE Year of the Snake has already taken its first bite in Central Queensland, with Rockhampton rugby league enthusiast Baron Large the victim
Baron was bitten on the thumb on Saturday while trying to catch a snake at his home.
He said his wife saw the snake on the rails of their split-level house early in the morning.
"The snake was climbing the rails, so I got the kitchen tongs to try and grab it on the neck but missed and grabbed it a few inches lower. The snake spun around and bit me right on the thumb," Baron said.
He said the snake was about a metre long and he didn't think it was poisonous.
He did spend the next 48 hours in the Rockhampton Hospital though, while tests were being done to see if any venom was in his system.
The snake turned out to be a keelback snake and non-venomous.
"If the snake had been in the yard I would have chased it away. But it was on the rails and could have gotten in the house and my grandkids were coming for a visit that day," Baron said.
This all comes as the Chinese New Year was celebrated on Sunday, bringing in the Year of the Snake.
Luckily for Baron, he is not superstitious. He said that the timing was just a coincidence, but he might go and buy a scratchie just to try his luck.
A friend of Baron's and local AFL media officer John Broad said anyone who shook Baron's hand would have good luck for 12 months.
Meanwhile John, an avid AFL enthusiast, was slightly concerned for the snake. He said he wouldn't be surprised if the snake caught something and died after biting the NRL guru.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back