Noob Questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saximus

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Ok so I should probably know this since I've owned snakes for over five years now. My snakes have never shown signs of poor health though so never thought I was doing anything wrong.
I was reading "Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons" which most of you will likely know as The Snake Bible. In it there is a statement that water should be changed every 2-3 days because most snakes will not drink from water that has been sitting for longer than this (apparently a survival thing because stagnant water harbours parasites). I will change it immediately if they have crapped in their water or if it is getting low but that is it. What do others think about this?

Next question: In a previous thread I showed pics of a new enclosure I made (http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-discussion-42/just-something-whipped-together-153474/). There was a comment that the lights should probably be directed down rather than out to give a proper basking area. At the time I didn't think anything of it. But now I'm starting to get worried. As long as I get a decent gradient in the enclosure is it a problem that I don't have specific basking sites that are directly under heat?

Please don't abuse me if what I've been doing over the last few years is completely wrong :oops:
Cheers
Daniel

If you have an appropriate 35(hot end) to 26-28 (cool) end, I can't see a problem, fresh water is always good though.

Ok cheers Hooglabah.
60 views and only one comment? Does that mean Hooglabah has said everything?

Well, im only a noob myself, but i agree, as long as you have the correct heat gradient, it doesn't matter how you achieve it..
As for fresh water, i do mine every 3 or 4 days, even more in hot weather just to ensure fresh cool drinking water is always available..

If your using reflector globes and your facing them outwards your wasting energy. Reflectors are directional, itll take a hell of a lot longer for a basking spot to heat up if the globe isnt aimed at it. Wheres your probe? If the probe is under the globe id be interested in knowing how hot the surfaces are getting in front of the globe.

Personally id change it, i cant think of any benefit what so ever in having globes set up that way.

Yep, it'll just take longer to heat up.
You'll get a gradient BUT not as long as you want it to be and most likely not at the right temperatures you want.
You said you've been doing it for the last few years, so it's not really a problem, isn't it.
Your snakes are healthy so it's not doing any harm!
I change the water when it's empty and even then I might leave it for a few days.

Ok thanks guys. I dunno why I've always had it that way. Just didn't really think about it when I built my first one and then done it out of habit. I'll see how good the gradient is in the new one and decide whether it needs to be changed from there I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back