Noosa Nth Shore Frog ID + Legless Lizard in the driveway [Pic Heavy]

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HydroGoat

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So we went up to Noosa Nth Shore this weekend camping, and I was a bit disappointed that I only saw a frog (we were in bushland). I had thought it was a toad, but investigation proved me wrong :D

Apologies for crappy phone pics:
26022011177.jpg

26022011179.jpg

26022011182.jpg

So I was quite pleased when I a Burtons Legless Lizard (I think) gave me a fright!

Dad and I were unloading the car, and I'd just taken some stuff upstairs. He put my thongs in the driveway and I came back down, grabbed one and thought "hrm, that's a funny looking stick between them" (its head was sticking up between the thongs, was underneath one (they were upside down, no worries)). So I grabbed the other and it moved. I only saw it's body and crapped myself thinking "unidentified snake D:" Then I looked at its head and decided it was definitely not a snake. Grabbed my camera, then did some googling afterwards.

We have a steep driveway, and while I was sitting there watching it it kept trying to climb up but sliding down again. I was going to pick it up and put it in the garden, but I've never seen or read anything about legless lizards so I didn't want to touch it. It found its own way there with a little encouragement from my feet :) Here are the pictures, I went a little overboard, it's a pretty creature.

He was surprisingly patient with me, just sat there with the camera inches from him!

IMG_1460.jpg

IMG_1459.jpg

IMG_1465.jpg

IMG_1479.jpg

Also included some bad pics of a coastal that was on our compost bin about a month ago. Should've lined up the camera then turned the torch off, like I did while taking pics of this one. Turned out much better.

IMG_1435.jpg

IMG_1434.jpg

IMG_1437.jpg

Yeah I thought he looked healthy, gave me a fright initially! As I said, it's the first one I've seen, thought he looked quite good.

Dad was worried we'd brought it back with us, but I looked up their range, and even if that's the case it doesn't matter.

looks like it could be a rocket frog though i'm not positive. Beautiful burtons! looks pretty thick!

the frog is Litoria nasuta, Rocket Frog and it is certainly a burton's

Cheers,
scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back