Normal behaviour ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

staffsrule

Reaction score
Hi to all xx This is my first post on here and was wondering if I could get some help ?? I have a Coastal, about 7 - 8 months old. I have had him about 6 weeks. He is coming into his first shed since I have had him. Is it normal for him not to crap ?? He usualy has one about mid week (eats on Saturdays) but this week he didnt !! Also anything special I should be doing to help him at this stressful time ? Thanks in advance xx

Thanks for that, first time snake owners panic about the least little things !!!!! It is great to actualy find somewhere that people answer your questions. :D

Hi Staffs :) I moved your thread for you as I don't think you really wanted it in the "Wanted To Buy" forum :)
When you unrol the shed to check the eye scales just watch out for the smelly bits that drop out :)

Oh yes, Welcome aboard mate :)

Some of my pythons take a dump in their sheds and others slough neatly and then take a dump.

It is definitely normal to not want to eat and not take a dump when coming up for a slough/shed.

Staffsrule...I have 2 Coastals....Bout 10 months old..... Mine seem to dissapear for about a week before they shed.... As for helping them shed there isnt too much to do. Just keep an eye on him and wait. If he has any probs shedding all the skin you will want to put him in a little bit of luke warm water...And soak him for about 15-25 minutes... If the skin hasnt come off after soaking.....gently...ever so gently rub the area really softly towards the tail and assist the skin off... There is also sprays that you can buy that assist the removal of their shed.... But you shouldnt have too much of a prob. Mine have shed 3 times now... And I only had a small bit of shed left on once...

As surfcop said - any probs shedding soak in luke warm water, but don't worry about rubbing he will get it off himself no problems within a couple of hours/days and also just before next shed up the humidity slightly, but you should'nt have to many drama's with coastals as they only need about 50% relative humidity to shed with no problem's. I wouldn't worry to much it's just part of keeping herp's. (just keep your eye on him)

That is great, thanks for that. Luke hasnt dissapeared at all, he never realy has been shy !! he is just very quiet, sits on his log all the time near his heat lamp and just looks so sad ! his eyes have cleared again now, so shouldnt be too far off shedding now.......

Usually a couple of days to a week after their eyes clear up, if that helps. :D

It most certainly does.. Thanks again, this has been most helpful !! I can relax and stop panicking lol. This is our first shed so it's all a bit nerve wracking for me !! (and Luke to I would imagine) :D

Well once again thanks for the help xx Happy to announce that Luke shed last night, with no probs at all !! A perfect skin was in his tank for all to see this morning. I was up till 2 am watching him, thinking he will do it any second now, but of course he waited till I went to bed lol. Still no sign of that crap though lol :roll:

It's great to see you are so keen and enthusiastic. Watch out for the herp bug. It is true once you get it you can't stop at 1.

Happy Herping

I can also vouch for that "not stopping at one" comment !

Had my 1st coastal carpet for under a year before I got a jungle :) now I keep eyeing the for sale forum.. haha

"must...not...buy....more...pythons..... ahh what the hell" :)

I know what you mean lol. My partner has just brought another little coastal, so we do have 2, Luke and Maverick. Mav is still settling in, so not sure of his personality yet ! Would love a Jungle, they are stunning I reckon. Have to find room for another tank though LOL :D

lol staff we were in the same possition this time last year, Now we have 4 pythons (2 coastals, 1 diamond and a darwin). Plus a list a mile long of others that we want, just had to change the licience over from basic to advanced to be able to keep all that we want lol

Staffsrule....just curious, has Luke pooed yet?
I was also a little concerned for my jungle as he hadn't done a number 2 in 3 weeks. I read your thread and hung in there as he was shedding at the time. I woke up last night as he was shedding and stayed up to watch. When I woke up this morning, there was a big juicy one under his favourite branch. Thanks for the thread and the info guys, I can rest a little.
Staffs, I hope Luke does one soon mate.
Jus

Yeah he presented me with a huge dump last night lol. Was getting a bit worried but all seems to be normal. he was looking for a feed last night but didnt want to give him one till he crapped, so looks like he will feast later today lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back