NOW -Channel 7

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How much do Pig-nosed Turtles go for? Perhaps a proven adult female could fetch something in the range of $4-6k?

i dont think they would have been sale back in the 70' when she said she bought hers. I know mary river turtles were commonly sold back then

How much do Pig-nosed Turtles go for? Perhaps a proven adult female could fetch something in the range of $4-6k?

I somehow doubt a pig nosed turtle or mary river or anything worth $6000 would live in such crap water.
They did have a E.Maquarii of some sort that may not otherwse exist in captivity, but six grand pfft.

I like how at the end they showed someone illegally live feeding a noxious pest species to the turtles(extremely illegal technically could mean massive fines or jail, not that they are doing anything wrong morally IMO), it must be the first case of the rspca having double standards PMSL

i dont think she bought it for $6000, she said she got her turts in the 70's, mary river turtles were commonly sold back then before they knew what they were

I didn't see the show so i don't know what conditions it was housed in.

So what was this story about? Were they seizing animals held in substandard conditions or something?

the lady gave them all up in the end, origanally she was just gonna give the bubs away

nah, they dont go for 20k, last i saw for sale was 4k but that was a few years back, heard they are bout 2k these days

I didn't see the show so i don't know what conditions it was housed in.

So what was this story about? Were they seizing animals held in substandard conditions or something?

Basically they were living in a number tiny ponds that hadnt been cleaned in ages, heaps of them have obviuosly died or escaped over the years and some of the larger turts were showing signs of longterm malnutrition.

Most of them appeared to be fine, although somewhat starved. the ones i got i would imagine are fairly old yet still small. On the bright side atleast they are likely to be prime specimens to have survived the 'natural' selection they were subjected too.

The RSPCA officer said that the algae on the turtles shell was due to the stagnant water. I have a couple of turtles in clean, filtered, well oxygenated water and yet they have algae, whereas most of the others have no algae.
On the other hand it appeared that not all turtles in the show in those ponds with stagnant water had algae on their shells, therefore I think in this case the RSPCA officer's comments were incorrect. I was surprised too that they needed a vet to test the water and find it was stagnant, it seemed obvious.
On another note, what a better life they could have had if their diet was improved. At least they ended up with knowledgeable carers.
Allan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back