NSW to push natives as pets??????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cuddles looks like he/she is thinking about kissing (or eating) Francis!

Natives as pets? Brilliant idea!! I thought of that years ago!!

I am sure someone will say that they are completely unsuitable as household animals and ruin the whole thing.

I had a pair of handraised sugar gliders when I was little, they were unwanted by the museum after they had finished research, and they were the best pets, they would come and sit on my shoulder and eat food out of my hand. And so soft! We had them in a pretty big aviary though, I suppose not everybody has one of those...

I am sure someone will say that they are completely unsuitable as household animals and ruin the whole thing.

That would be me.

I disagree with the idea that Bats and wombats make great pets. If you have the facilities to keep them properly, then fine. I don't think that bandicoots would make too good a pet either. Too many people would want to keep them as replacements to cats and dogs, expecting them to be the same.

:p

Hix

good idea, ive always wanted a bat as a pet. Hopefully my dream will come true soon lol

government should give tax deductions on people who look after our wildlife as pets to sustain them for the future then my collection would be into the millions.HAHAHAHA
matt

Lol Hix, I agree with wombats! Unless you have steel enforced doors perhaps, and a fence that extends a fair way underground!!!

I have a friend whose mother worked with bats at the museum, and they had pet bats, and they were lovely, but obviously they had the necessary expertise to care for them.

What I was trying to say is that I disagree with people who say as a blanket rule that all native animals are unsuitable as pets, and people who say that no private home is able to provide the right conditions for any native animal.

Clearly, all pets must be kept in suitable habitats, fed a suitable diet, etc. There are quite a few small marsupials that are suitable as pets, but obviously not all of them are. The article suggests possums are suitable, but brush tails get pretty grumpy when they mature, while ring tails are usually fine (in my experience!). Lots of little marsupials, like dunnarts, kowaris and bettongs, are great to watch, but don't tend to 'love back' as much as some of the larger ones do (but then neither do most reptiles, and they are still great!).

They are definitely not for everybody (rather like reptiles) but I would much prefer somebody buy a quoll rather than a cat!

I think, overall, it is a great idea to encourage natives as pets for those who are able to care for them.

I realise the issue of morons getting natives thinking that a quoll will make a replacement for a dog etc. but this is no reason to make them off limits for others who actually understand the needs of different animals.

Apart from maybe bearded dragons virtually no reptiles are really "pet" type animals IMO. I personally see little difference between someone being able to keep a perentie or something like a quoll.

Also IMO a brushtail possum would make a far better pet than a cat and you dont even need to oppress a natural desire to kill and torture as any "responsible" cat owner does.

I could get flamed for this but IMO it makes sense to domesticate some suitable natives as pets. This would also allow cats to be eliminated in the future.

Last edited:
I could get flamed for this but IMO it makes sense to domesticate some suitable natives as pets. This would also allow cats to be eliminated in the future.

I think thats not a bad idea personally - thought I can't actually think of anything that would have the widespread appeal of cats or dogs, cats and dogs have thousands of years of breeding to get the temperament and qualities they have - I wouldn't like to think of people expecting the same from a native. We have two cats and a do at home - one cat is too lazy and fat to catch anything and the other hunts (and quite successfully too) rabbits. The dog chases rabbits but doesn't want to catch them - he just in it for the chase - not surprising because he is a foxy whippet cross - and the sight hound in him is really quite dominant.

anybody here kept quolls? i know nothing about them but thought that they may be more suitable than many aussie natives.

I think thats not a bad idea personally - thought I can't actually think of anything that would have the widespread appeal of cats or dogs, cats and dogs have thousands of years of breeding to get the temperament and qualities they have - I wouldn't like to think of people expecting the same from a native.

I agree, i was suggesting that we should start domesticating some native animals such as brushtail possums and similar animals, they make fairly good pets straight from the wild anyway IMO. I raised an orphaned brushtail when i was a kid and it was a great pet until one of the local carpets nailed it :(

I agree, i was suggesting that we should start domesticating some native animals such as brushtail possums and similar animals, they make fairly good pets straight from the wild anyway IMO. I raised an orphaned brushtail when i was a kid and it was a great pet until one of the local carpets nailed it :(

I have mixed opinions of brushies - they can be very very pushy - there si a couple living around the flats here - fat as butter. One of them basically tried to stroll up my leg when I yelled at it to stop it raiding a bin - had to throw a shoe at it.

They keep hedgehogs in the UK - why can't we keep echidnas?

Anyway I'm totally for keeping native animals "as long as you know how to care for it properly". I honestly don't think just because it's a native animal you need to jump through hoops to keep it happy and healthy. All you need is a proper diet, a supply of water and an appropriate cage/pen/tank to keep it in, thrown in with correct handling techniques. It's not that hard.

I would like to encourage the keeping of armadillos. Although they aren't native, how awesome are armadillos!!

Anyway I'm totally for keeping native animals "as long as you know how to care for it properly". I honestly don't think just because it's a native animal you need to jump through hoops to keep it happy and healthy. All you need is a proper diet, a supply of water and an appropriate cage/pen/tank to keep it in, thrown in with correct handling techniques. It's not that hard.

i think you pretty much summed up what "know how to care for it properly" means. :lol: proper housing, diet and handling is about it.

I raised an orphaned brushtail when i was a kid and it was a great pet until one of the local carpets nailed it :(

I wonder if this could become an issue? Giving big (and quite possibly dangerous) snakes reason to come to your house because there's a big juicy meal or two running around inside. I suppose it is no different to any other pet though.

That would be me.

I disagree with the idea that Bats and wombats make great pets. If you have the facilities to keep them properly, then fine. I don't think that bandicoots would make too good a pet either. Too many people would want to keep them as replacements to cats and dogs, expecting them to be the same.

:p

Hix

I agree. It all boils down to responsible pet ownership. There are idiots out there who shouldn't be allowed ANY pets. People have to have the right facilities (ie. Big Dog - Big Yard) and the right attitude. There are too many reports out there of animal abuse without it spreading to our native wildlife as well. Maybe authorities need to introduce stricter licensing laws which include proof of a suitable enclosure?

You will get animal abuse as long as man can keep animals. No law will stop it.

Heaps of people have had kangas and wallabies as pets, and they go and come as they like.

I think its a good idea, the right minded people will do it properly and then others will see how good natives are and then they will want to protect them more. Its all about raising awareness, so people realise how our beautiful natives are, and in a lot of cases, hanging by their toes for survival.

It can work like this, eg (hypothetical but realistic)
Property developer, smashing habitat for Jennings homes. He doesn't care about anything but money, but his kids who see at school and at their friends house, animals that they fall in love with, they go home and put the acid on dad about what he is doing, can be the switch to maybe getting him to think a bit more about what he is doing.

It was only a handful of selfish, arrogant cane farmers that started the cane toad explosion that we have today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back