NT Government re-opens the possibility of Croc Hunting

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Megalania

Reaction score
Hi All

The NT government is revisiting the possibility of safari style croc hunting again. The federal government effectively closed down overseas hunters paying to shoot crocs by banning the export of trophies. However this ban does not cover domestic hunters.

I have started a petition to maintain the ban, which will go to the relevant Territory and Federal ministers; if any one is interested in signing please follow the link below:

[url]http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/Crochunting/ [/url]

Relevant article [url]http://www.ntnews.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,7034,19925627%5E13569,00.html [/url]

I will certainly be signing, if 'problem' animals need to be culled and I doubt many do then do it humanely and not let rich gun toting morons get their jollies out of it.

I believe there has to be a cull in place otherwise in 15 to 20 years there won’t be any croc left but I agree letting people go and shoot our animals is wrong especially if the only wound and the croc dies of a long painful death.

" However this ban does not cover domestic hunters. " It doesn't seem to have anything to do with rich Yanks.

yes that was a bit harsh so I have edited it sorry bout that.
I think the Aboriginals should do it at least it will give some of them a job and bring money into the community through
skins and meat product ect.

Re: RE: NT Government re-opens the possibility of Croc Hunti

boa said:
It doesn't seem to have anything to do with rich Yanks.

Hey boa,
I'm a member of an American forum like this one and I've just asked them to join in signing the petition, so play nice. :D

Let's face it, global condemnation of this hunt can only be a good thing.

Re: RE: NT Government re-opens the possibility of Croc Hunti

I think you might have misread what I said. I was replying to what was said by Alumba and that post has since been edited. I was referring to the fact that it wouldn't in fact be rich Americans who would be shooting them. My use of the term rich Yank should have included ' - ' as it was a quote.

elapid68 said:
boa said:
It doesn't seem to have anything to do with rich Yanks.

Hey boa,
I'm a member of an American forum like this one and I've just asked them to join in signing the petition, so play nice. :D

Let's face it, global condemnation of this hunt can only be a good thing.

I havn't heard the whole story but I don't think its that bad. There are lots of pro's to this taking place.

RE: Re: RE: NT Government re-opens the possibility of Croc H

I think the up side of such safaris greatly outweigh the very slim chance of one getting away wounded, i wont be signing :p

I think the Aboriginals should do it at least it will give some of them a job and bring money into the community through
skins and meat product ect.
From what ive read they would be the guides and it would be on their land, so they would get a substantial cut of the profit.

I personally would i have no interest in shooting a croc, but i can understand why ppl would want a 4m+ croc in their house, it would look pretty awsome IMO.

As i understand it large crocs are already culled anyway because they often take stock, why pay someone to do it when it can make heaps of money for the local communities?

RE: Re: RE: NT Government re-opens the possibility of Croc H

as said before in a few years time were gonna have one serious problem with too many crocs. its already happening in QLD, but there relocating them to the NT. now theve got a problem there too. they stuffed it up from the start i say. i have no problem with control and managment. but unfortunatly because of all the greedy bastards in this world thats probably not going to be sustained for very long. i hope it will but i dout it!. i will sign the partition becuase i don't realy was this to esculate but i agree something substantial has to be done. somehow with safari hunting i have a feling the money won't go to where its needed.
thats my rant for that day lol. thanx guys
l8r
Martyn

Re: RE: Re: RE: NT Government re-opens the possibility of Cr

martyn_tann said:
as said before in a few years time were gonna have one serious problem with too many crocs. its already happening in QLD

how many is too many? they were here first, were invading their homes not the other way around.

just my opinion.....

Matt

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: NT Government re-opens the possibility o

There is nothing wrong with sustainable harvesting of these animals.

Re: : NT Government re-opens the possibili

waruikazi said:
There is nothing wrong with sustainable harvesting of these animals.

But who's to say what "sustainable" is?? All the Japanese are doing is "sustainable" whale research. (Flame suit now on) :twisted:

RE: Re: : NT Government re-opens the possibili

I agree but in any event if they need culling then cull them but don't make a sport out of it. How anyone can get any enjoyment out of killing another animal is completely beyond me.

How anyone can get any enjoyment out of killing another animal is completely beyond me.
enjoying hunting is as natural as enjoying sex.

Mmm, yes I see the connection, with one at least 2 people have enjoyment and with the other an innocent animal dies.

Mmm, yes I see the connection, with one at least 2 people have enjoyment and with the other an innocent animal dies.
It is actually more related to natural human instincts :roll:
If there is a valid reason for killing the animal there is nothing wrong at all, what makes a valid reason however is up to opinion, some ppl think its fine to kill an animal so it can be used as a decoration thats their own personal decision.

i think shooting the crocs is wrong but if there causing trouble then they should be removed ( im not saying kill them ) but it is an option
if you re-locate the croc to an area already populated with crocs then there is a high chance of croc fights leading to death and injuries of more then one animal

As the poll says, its not the nuisance crocs that will be targeted but the big mature males. It won't be long until these safari's take place in the more remote regions were the crocs pose no risk.
No one can seriously believe that if this is passed that it will remain at only 25 crocs a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back