Ohhhhh Boy, Im in a Pickle.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Didnt they have to give you 14 days notice of an impending inspection? Whenever I have been not supposed to have pets, I have always hidden them all on that day. At one no pets house I was renting, I had 2 cats, 2 dogs and 2 shetland ponies :shock: on the day of the inspection, I loaded them all in the kingswood station wagon and parked it around the corner :lol:

You need to remove them and they can come and inspect.... then put them back in and when you have inspections in future.... hide them. Either this or you will have to move :rolleyes:

You put 2 dogs, 2 cats & 2 ponies in your kingswood ?
I would pay money to see that driving down the street!

You put 2 dogs, 2 cats & 2 ponies in your kingswood ?
I would pay money to see that driving down the street!

Yes, sure turned a few heads:shock: After a while the landlord caught on and said "do you want to get your bond back?!" and I said "Do you want to get your house back?!" I never had a problem after that. My trump card was that I was 3 months in ADVANCE with the rent..... so he would have to give me a few thousand dollars back if he wanted to kick me out :lol:

But thats the thing, by pets the landlord said that pets where cats dogs etc, all of the normal pets he didnt know that fish and reptiles where classed under pets as they are more hobby animals imo and his opinion. He had to look further into it as he didnt even think they where classed under pets.

I think you are getting Landlord mixed up with Property Manager. The Landlord is the owner, if he was the one who knew about the reptiles and fish, then I see no problem.

Otherwise, there are only a couple of ways this could go.
  1. The Landlord decides you can't have pets and are asks you to get rid of them;
  2. The Landlord see the animals as a breaking of the leasing agreement and kicks you out; or
  3. The Landlord is cool with it.

If scenario 1 happens then you could either get rid of the animals, or say you did and make sure that you hide everything next time.
If scenario 2 occurs then you could look into the legalities of what's happened and dispute it, or move out.
If scenario 3 happens then buy your landlord a sixpack of beer.

Either way there is nothing you can really do until the landlord makes their decision. You'll probably find that if everything else was great with the house then they will be lenient. They may just ask you to pay a pet bond incase of any damages.

Like I said, when you know they are coming to inspect, put your snakes in a pillow case each in your undies draw. Put a potplant or three in the snakes enclosures, take out the water bowl and hides and tell him they are just atriums.

i wonder how many of you renters would like to be the actual owner?

you have a beautiful house you rent out and your lease has a NO pet rule then you rent to a tenant with pets who damage that house honestly how would YOU feel about having to spend possibly thousands ripping up carpets, repairing walls, having rotten urine soaked carpets would you think it was ok or would you be mega peeved off at the tenant for the way they treated your home? or what if it was a home owned and rented out by your parents? would it still be ok to have a tenant in it that damages the property? oh and threats to damage to persons rental should have seen the cops called

like it or not if the owner has a NO pet policy and has specified NO cats, dogs, fish or reptiles and you have them then you are breaking the lease and he has every right to evict you

i would say a lot of landlords are starting to catch up that tenants DONT view these as pets or even admit to owning them and im sorry but FISH are and you can call reptiles a hobby until the cows come home but they are still YOUR pets and in this case NOT allowed in the rental and seriously you only have the dishonest renters to thank for this

next time might i suggest you run your 'hobby' past the property manger/owner and if they agree then have it written into your lease so your protected

i am also amazed at the amount of dishonest liars in this site who think its ok to be disrespectful to someone else and their property yet wouldnt tolerate it to themselves or their own homes

What captain rat bag saidis the way to do it I used to take my dogs cats etc to the mother in laws for the arvo. never had a problem

^^i have to agree.

I also rent, but it is written into my agreement that I can have up to 30 reptiles and one dog.
My dad owned a number of properties in nz, and his biggest pet hate was people not being honest about their pets. More often than not he was cool about it, and just added a clause that the renter must pay for any damage the pet/s may cause.

I am so lucky with my landlord. I have a dog,2 cats,2 canaries,a goat,and of course the snake which he doesnt as yet know about but prob does as my best friend is mates with him. My landlord also has a ringneck parrot that he is trying to give to me and even thou i would like it,i dont have the room. Im already wondering where i should set up a large custom built enclosure which will house my albino that i have put a deposit on. I may have to get rid of some cabinets and such that i just dont use lol.

I'd advise you to contact the RTA as you will get naught but opinion (some, amazingly vitriolic for some reason) here. Their number is 1300 366 311. Have a look at your your rental agreement. If it is specifically written "no reptiles, fish, etc..., then you are probably out of luck. If not, the RTA will be able to clear it up for you.

... ripping up carpets, repairing walls, having rotten urine soaked carpets ...

Oh Jeebus Cripes! :facepalm: You cannot be bloody serious! Lol, ...nope. Just lol.

Didnt they have to give you 14 days notice of an impending inspection? Whenever I have been not supposed to have pets, I have always hidden them all on that day. At one no pets house I was renting, I had 2 cats, 2 dogs and 2 shetland ponies :shock: on the day of the inspection, I loaded them all in the kingswood station wagon and parked it around the corner :lol:

You need to remove them and they can come and inspect.... then put them back in and when you have inspections in future.... hide them. Either this or you will have to move :rolleyes:

thats really poor form, and you wonder why landlords steer away from responsible owners, you are dealing with other peoples livelyhoods,
i think the best advice thus far has been go back to the owners and maybe talk to them directly, show them how the snakes are kept and or fish, what you do as an owner and basically fess up and say you know what i made a mistake whoever it was, n didnt realise that they were classed as a pet,,,
i think honesty and integrity go along way rather than trying to hide things away
only MY OPINION :)
i am on both sides here :)

you have a beautiful house you rent out and your lease has a NO pet rule then you rent to a tenant with pets who damage that house honestly how would YOU feel about having to spend possibly thousands ripping up carpets, repairing walls, having rotten urine soaked carpets would you think it was ok or would you be mega peeved off at the tenant for the way they treated your home? or what if it was a home owned and rented out by your parents? would it still be ok to have a tenant in it that damages the property? oh and threats to damage to persons rental should have seen the cops called

like it or not if the owner has a NO pet policy and has specified NO cats, dogs, fish or reptiles and you have them then you are breaking the lease and he has every right to evict you

i would say a lot of landlords are starting to catch up that tenants DONT view these as pets or even admit to owning them and im sorry but FISH are and you can call reptiles a hobby until the cows come home but they are still YOUR pets and in this case NOT allowed in the rental and seriously you only have the dishonest renters to thank for this

next time might i suggest you run your 'hobby' past the property manger/owner and if they agree then have it written into your lease so your protected

i am also amazed at the amount of dishonest liars in this site who think its ok to be disrespectful to someone else and their property yet wouldnt tolerate it to themselves or their own homes

very well said,,,,,,,,
disgraceful to think you would and could take advantage of someone elses hard work and dreams due to individual needs, sad to read some of the posts on this thread.

Bah, he'll go home and talk to his wife, cool off and realize its too much hassle finding another good tenant who pays his rent on time (you are that sort of tenant I presume? :))

it's the joys of renting and rental properties... both sides of the coin! It will make you all think again about investment properties that's for sure

i skipped through the thread so if this is not relevent ignore but if you signed the agreement with this clause you have little to no ground to stand on( although its bs) i understand a fish tank can crack and destroy the carpet but reptiles should be fine you would think. as for fox and the net you can just take them with you. for fox its as easy as just moving the box. ex. i have a fox extra room package in my house that is running from a house on the other side of adelaide. its the card that filters out chanels not the signal from fox. im moving next week and taking all of my contracts net, power, gas. hope this makes sence. good luck

Toby

But thats the thing, by pets the landlord said that pets where cats dogs etc, all of the normal pets he didnt know that fish and reptiles where classed under pets as they are more hobby animals imo and his opinion. He had to look further into it as he didnt even think they where classed under pets.

Very true, EVERY SINGLE RENTAL i have ever had has said pets on Application (cats and dogs) or no pets (cats or dogs). NEVER in my life have I ever seen No pets allowed-Including Goldy in his 1L round Bowl or Sliver in his 3 foot tank.

I agree it is very unfair. My reptiles, birds and fish have never been rejected by a realestate when they have done an inspection, nore have I ever informed that I am keeping them in the house. That is an absoute load of SnHuIoTu.

The reason behind no cats and dogs is obviously understandable, allergies, mites, fleas, ticks, etc etc but reptiles? Fish...even more crud! Its pathetic and unfair.

Best bet mate is to (if you can contact him directly) is explain to him that these pets do not carry any diseases, fleas, mites or anything that would affect future tenants. I have never heard (and it could be out there but) of someone touching a snake or living in a house where there has been a reptile then coming up in a massive rash, or having allergies so bad they require hospital treatment!

Years ago I did rental vacates(cleaned)for about 6 months.... Let me tell you people without animals but had kids did far more damage then a lot of rentals that had pets.... I guess it gets down to the rental industry there are good and bad stories on both sides..... When I moved in to nurse my Dad I had no idea his rental property was "no pets" I found out after we were there for 12 months. I never hid my animals at inspection time the only thing I can think of is the rental handler was happy with how we looked after the property. She always commented on how well presented the property was. Which is why I am sure if your a good tenant surely you can resolve this :)

I can understand where you are coming from but do you have children Jeannine? An honest question. My daughter causes more damage then what my 3 snakes and baby cockatiel could ever cause. She has weed and accidented pooed on the floors, she has drawn and spilt food and drink on the floors, maybe the rental laws need to also change to included no children under the age of 5 are allowed in rentals as they technically cause more damage then what a snake sitting in a tank will do.

Yes his breaking the law but its not the worst situation out there. Its not like his harbouring a paack of dogs in his spare room, the Landlord needs to be more understanding of the situation and realise that these pets are different from Cats and Dogs etc, and I beleive that will all these possible issues then the tennant act and contracts need to be re-written to include fish and reptiles specifically as they are different! Snakes and fish don't go sht or peeing all over the floors so there should never be an issue there will roten urine soaked carpets!

Like I have said I have never hid my bird or reptiles from an inspection and I have never had an issue. My Landlords and realestate agents are always amazed and curious about what I keep and can see that my tanks are locked with a key and there isn't a chance of my reptile causing mass damage to the property I am living in! Can understand if it were a Titanboa then I could understand!

Years ago I did rental vacates(cleaned)for about 6 months.... Let me tell you people without animals but had kids did far more damage then a lot of rentals that had pets

Very well said, I completely agree!

I think people who secretly keep pets would keep the house nicer than people who don't. I know that im insane with my cleaning so that they will never find out! And im sure if people had pets and were doing what you say, they would notice at the first 3 month inspection. Witch I think is on the minority. Most people with pets who rent that i know are crazy about not damaging the house as its so hard to get rental properties with animals. i think your being a bit harsh considering for every 1000 houses up for rent maybe one of them says pets allowed... You do what you do. I'll be damed if i'll sentence my animals to death because i cant get a pet friendly rental.

i think most renters would love to be the owners,wouldnt need to worry bout pet clauses then,lol

hiding stuff,not telling them about stuff ect is all good and well,but a pain in the butt,better to be up front,most are more leniant then,if u bs them,give them doubts,it only leads to negative thoughts,they assume the worst ect ect

if they terminate contract over it,its a pain having to find somewhere else,let alone doing the move,but at least u dont have to worry bout that landlord then

If this is the owner saying this. Then just sit down with him and plead your case, As stated it is his decision if you can stay not the rental agent who never pass anything on to owners anyway.

HAHAAHAHA yeh I have done the same thing lol. When I first got my blue tongue I didn't even think of the realestate and they never said anything about his tank being right near the dooor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back