Ohhhhh Boy, Im in a Pickle.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I made sure reptiles were fine on the house I started renting recently. So I shouldn't get in trouble. Unless they find my cat.;) Also, because I am not allowed pets in this property, my cat is watched like a hawk, she is blocked off from all carpeted rooms, every hair she shreds is picked up that day. The way I figure it, I am taking the risk, I am more them happy to suffer the consequences of loosing my bond and being kicked out with no notice. But as a first time renter, there is NO OTHER WAY TO EVER GET A DAMN RENTAL unless you LIE. Whether it be about animals, or any other aspect of your life. And hey, the real estate agents lied about nearly every aspect of this house, so me lying about one cat seems pretty innocent to me. Seeing as I am paying $70 extra a week for Gas heating that doesn't work.

I pay my rent 6 weeks in advance. I could have an indoor elephant and they wouldn't kick me out.

Last edited:
Have always been upfront and honest about my pets.

Even if the ad for a property says "no pets" and I wanted the property, I phoned and asked about the property (or inspected it) and advised that I owned a cat, a 4' tank and fostered greyhounds for the Victorian Greyhound Adoption Program (if the property had a dog-sized yard)

I have always had glowing references and always leave a place cleaner than when I arrived.

We did not have reptiles when we moved into our current house (just the cat and fish that went onto the lease) when the landlord came to drop off a spare set of keys one day we asked about the snakes..... His response "Wow, cool, can I come and see them when you get them?" LOL.

Pays to be honest and upfront... It is as important to be a good tenant as it is to be a realistic and understanding landlord.

EDIT: I've applied for 3 places that were "no pets" properties and because I was honest about my pets I was allowed to get the place :) it definitely pays to tell the truth :)

Glad you had a good outcome, but where I used to rent was basically 100% no pets allowed, so telling the truth would have just being like saying 'dont worry, I really dont want to rent your property'

Sometimes you have to lie by omition, sometimes you can be honest, but you have to sound out the landlord first, usually you just have to lie ;)

It is funny, the people I rented off when I had the dogs, cats and shetlands.... the owners had 2 Labra-doodles that were like 'thier children'.... thier dogs had the run of thier house and were totally molly coddled :rolleyes: but thier rental property had a 'no pets policy'...... surely they could understand that other people renting thier property might have pets that are like thier children too? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back