Old Herp Books....What their worth???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paleoherp

Reaction score
It was brought to my attention last year that some old herp books and publications have become quite collectable, as I have had a someone chasing me for old VHS Monitor mags (which I still can't find :x).
Anyway I have found what I think are my 3 oldest books and was wondering what they are worth, if anything at all.

One is Keeping Reptiles and Amphibians as Pets by Chris Banks - First edition 1980
Another is Proceedings of the Melbourne Herpetological Symposium which was held at the Melbourne Zoo in 1980 and the book was published in July 1981.
Last but not least is Reptiles and Amphibians of Australia by Harold G. Cogger, which was first published in 1975, with revised editions in 83 & 86. This is the 1986 revised and expanded edition.

Obviously condition would play a part in their value, if anything at all. If anyone has any idea what they are worth it would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Jason.

Last edited:
In my opinion....

I have a copy of the first book, i don't believe it is worth anymore than $5. :)

Cogger's book will fetch a few hundred.

I have no idea about the middle one, looks interesting though. What sort of info does it contain? It wouldn't surprise me if it also fetched a few hundred, but it all depends on what's in there (content/authors) and how many copies were printed/still exist etc.

Yeah thanks MrBredli,

I must confess I don't think I have ever read that middle book, lets face it in 1980 I was about 10 years old, even now I still think about reading it but think it is probably obsolete anyway.
Give me 30 mins and I will try and post pictures of the contents, because lets face it I hate typing.

That middle book seems fairly interesting, there's quite a few topics/articles in it.

Last edited:
I have an original coogers i was going to chuck it out as its outdated but not now if its worth a couple of hundred.

I have an original coogers i was going to chuck it out as its outdated but not now if its worth a couple of hundred.

I believe the 1995 edition was getting $250 last year, that is what originally drew my attention to the topic but I just figured it was a rumor.
Is it just because they are collectable, surely some of the taxonomic descriptions are out of date.

I believe the 1995 edition was getting $250 last year, that is what originally drew my attention to the topic but I just figured it was a rumor.
Is it just because they are collectable, surely some of the taxonomic descriptions are out of date.

Oh mine is a lot older than 1995 its more like from the 70s.

So is it still worth keeping.

Its hard cover.

Horsesrule - defiantly worth keeping because you would think that if they are collectable in the true sense the earlier versions would be worth more.

The publish dates are First printed in 1975, revised editions are 79, 83 & 86.

The first one is worth around$25-$45. The Coggers is a few hundred. The middle one is pretty common. Maybe around $20. I'm a mad keen Reptile book collector. If anyone out there does have any old books they want to sell/swap please get in touch. Chris

Yeah the one by Chris Banks I thrashed as a kid, I didn't pick the Symposium (middle one) up until the mid 1980's. I found it second hand and have never seen it since.

Just went and checked which one i actually have its Reptile and Amphibians of Australia H.G COOGER

Think its the first one from what i can see,

Funny thing is it still has price tag on it from the 70s lol $23.95 so it wasnt a cheap book then.

I am clearing out my house in the next few months i am getting rid of some wildlife books if anyone is interested let me know and ill let you know what i have when i sort it out.

Think ill keep the Coogers now though lol.

re Old

Ive found song of the snake by eric worrell a hard one to get these days in good condition,goodes book on australian turtles and a few others around that late 50s to early 70s mark.

Ive found song of the snake by Eric worrell a hard one to get these days in good condition,goodes book on australian turtles and a few others around that late 50s to early 70s mark.

I remember that book, haven't seen it for some time though, you would think that it would be worth something.
I also have early books by Swanson, Shine, Hoser a couple of small books by Cogger and Keith Davey - Australian Lizards which is the 77 edition.

I just had a look and i got to clear out quite a few

Anyone know if these are worth anything?

Unique Animals and Birds of Australia Michael Morcombe
Animal Behaviour Harry Frauca
Australias Venemous Wildlife John Stackhouse
Australian Birds in Colour Keith Hindwood
Australian Crustacians in Colour Anthony Healy and John Yaldwyn
A Nature Study Bert Brunet
Encyclopedia Of The Animal World 21 volumes.

Thats just a few in a box i have not unpacked and wont since moving to our new place.

Yes Zulu, Goodes is now pretty hard to get as is Bustards Lizards. If anyone does want to find out the prices of some old books go to http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchEntry Or just type Reptile in the keyword section and sort by most expensive. You might get a shock to see what's being paid for some of the older books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back