Olive and Water Keepers

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

africancichlidau

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Hi Guys and Gals, for those of you who keep the above species. Do you find them to be arboreal or terrestrial in the main? What size enclosures do you use for each species?
Thanks in advance peoples :)

Both can be arboreal, I have found both high in the trees, both in burrows, and both on the ground!

waters can get very heavily bodied so I would recommend 4x2x3 (Lxhxw) for them. Provide a branch for sure. But I have never found animals over 5ft in the trees

Olives I find quite high up in trees all the time, especially ones that are under a metre, so climbing space is a must for these guys.

I don't like having branches in the large olives or waters i prefer large hide rocks....or something similar that can support their weight....i found my olives stopped using their branches once they were about 2yrs old.

Yeah i Have found adults in trees phil, but never very high up. I suppose they get lazy or something lol, must be hard climbing when ya that big!

My waters never climb, but i put a branch in there anyway!

I built a platform higher up and found the male sitting on it but he got down when I came in and has never been up there since. Spends most time either under the spot, in the water bowl or in the hide. As you can see, lots of fun things going on there.

My male water climbs when it's coming up to breeding time, he goes nuts looking for the girls.
Apart from that, they never climb. Being kept in 3x2x2's.

My enclosures for the Olives are about 2000 long, 900 high and 600 wide.

I have a 20 litre water tub in each which sits in a built in frame.

Mounted on the back wall is a pseudo log. made of melamine which is about a meter long. The logic with the log is that the pythons can hang on the top or hide inside. The male is always on his and the female rarely.

They both like their water tubs particularly after a feed ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back