olive feeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

olive

Reaction score
hi,im purchasing a hatchy olive off a fella who has been feeding them on finches.Would it be hard to change the diet to mice?Do finches carry any kind of diseases?Thanks for your help

I have i yearling olive that i had trouble getting to eat when i got him as a hatchy. I let the guy that owns the pet shop talk me into trying finches. 8 months later and i am still trying to get him off birds. He will actually run away from rats when i put them in, and he is already 6 foot long. I think because he has been eating very well on day old chicks tied to rats. To answer your question , no it is not easy to change them over.

what would be the best way?keep offering him mice and nothing else until he takes a mice?Me need some help.Thanks

They prefer it alright. that is what makes it so hard to get them off the birds. I Had some good advice from Slateman a few weeks ago on how to do it, so now i am trying to wait my olive out. Every time i feed my 3 bredli i offer a rat to my olive first. When he doesn't take it i give it to the bredli. This has been going on for 6 or 7 weeks with no sign of change. Saying this, he is still my favourite and when i have more room i will be getting a female

finches

i have a pair of 6foot olives that have been known to go off the rats every now and then for no apparent reason. what i do is keep a couple of finches in the freezer with my food, and if i need them i defrost one and rub it all over the rats prior to feeding - nine out of ten times they will go straight for the rat and that is the end of it!
the first time i placed the finch and rat together and they knocked past the finch and ate the rat.
apparently birds are more likely to carry worms or parasites so if you have to do this too often keep an eye on your snakes and consider worming next time you are feeding them.
anyway, this is what works for me, hope it helps you out mate.
bombie

RE: finches

I made the mistake with an olive by offering it day old chicks and was doing the same as joelypat but it eventually went onto rats alone. It was actually rats from a different supplier that were alot cleaner then the ones from my usual supplier that were taken by the olive.

would it be cruel to try and starve it?

Actually, I had the same problem when mine was a hatchling. Slatey gave me some good advice.

Try attaching a finch wing to a pinkie (tie it on with cotton). Did this twice and the third time just rubbed the finch over the pinkie. By the 4th feed, he was on straight mice - no problems.

Used the same technique to convert him to rats. I kept a mouse to rub over the rat. Only took two feeds to convert.

I don't know where you are from Olive. you don't have location filled in your profiles.

Theres only one problem with feeding them wild caught finches and that is they carry lots of diseases (worms and mites).

im in sydney NSW (Western suburbs)( georges hall)

Olive go to my acount on top of this page and put at least Sydney in you your user information. That will display location on left side in the frame where avatar is.

If you like to see what to do regarding feeding your olive, Pm me . You live close to me mate.

I rang the guy up today and he said, instead of giving me the olive which feeds on finches, he was going to give me a male olive that feeds on mice (the other was going to be a female)Im pretty excited,thanks for the help anyways much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back