Olive vs Rabbit?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boidae

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have an Olive python, she is 20 months old, 7ft long and 3.1kg. I also have a male dwarf Californian rabbit, I dont know how old he is, but he is 1.5kg. I used to breed him with my New Zealand White rabbit, whose babies I would kill and then feed to my Olive.
However I now have a male Giant Flemish, who has produced much better litters than the Californian.

No pet shops will take him because of that rabbit virus thats going round right now, and I think two giant rabbits is all I can care for right now.
So in short, do you reckon my Olive would be right with a 1.5kg rabbit?
Im feeling pretty confident that she can, and I'll be going on holidays soon so I wont be feeding her for the next 2 or so weeks.

We feed 7ft Burmese 2 adult rabbits every 3 weeks
They simply inhale them without a worry

My 6.5th male diamond eats a 800-1kg rabbit with ease

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She is 18cm around at her widest point.
Yeah a 7ft burm would definately be bigger than a 7ft Olive.

Very similar build for Olives and Burmese
Although our two 7fts are 26cm round as of one minute ago at widest point

Cull it, put it on ice and then wait 5 months, by then it should be an easy meal

Last edited:
To put it in prospective my 11ft olive girl struggled with a full grown dwarf rabbit @1.3kgs had to constrict it and then shove it into her face to get it down,first meal i have seen her struggle with.got to remember olives have fairly small heads to their body size.....imwith gold member put it on ice for a few months then it should get it down better safe than sorry imo.

Just my two cents

Very similar build for Olives and Burmese
Although our two 7fts are 26cm round as of one minute ago at widest point

Olives are no where near as stocky as burms unless they are very obese.

Thanks for the imput guys. Yeah I think I'll go with Goldmember and just pop it in the freezer for a few months. I'm going away over the end of year holidays, so I might use it then.

Oh and by the way, do you guys think she is a good size for her age, she will normally get around 600 grams of rabbit per
week.

Last edited:
That size rabbit is 50% of the snakes weight. I wouldn't want to go above 30% as a generalisation. It does happen in the wild but sometimes they come unstuck too.

You could try slicing it in two. A less messy alternative would be to remove the limbs and keep them as a second meal.

Blue

I have 2 male rabbits, one which was meant to be a female and as soon as My olive Tonka gets big enough one will be his dinner :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back