Opinions on breeding siblings?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave1gsxr

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I'm sure that I read a post on this subject before ages ago and I'm sure there are many opinions.. I would like to know if the breeders out there find it OK to breed Pythons from the same litter? From what I have read there are no defects from doing this with reptiles, and that it is done regularly to keep patterns, colours consistent.. appart from the fact that I personally would feel.. strange about doing it. :?

Is this a touchy subject?

Thanks in advance.

Your right Dave thats what line breeding for colour traits is all about.

Unlike in other species ie cats & dogs line breeding tends to bring out the bad traits, bad hips etc.

Seems to have no effect on reptiles i've seen some of the lines today that people hold would are multi generational with no effect.

Though for diversity i like to source non related but if you want that particular line from a breeder its not always possible.

Personally I wouldn't worry about siblings breeding., for example, the founding stock of bredli originated from a small range near Alice Springs.

Yet to see an imperfect bredli...Centralian python

Most animals you wouldn't in breed because of deformities,but with snakes it is okay?lizards too?i put heaps of effort into making sure my beardies couldn't be related,and now i find out it doesn't really matter.

Interesting. Like the OP I feel a bit wrong about breeding siblings. Apparently, though, among snakes it isn't the risk it would be among, say, humans.

This would be an interesting thing to study. Assuming the offspring don't have problems we can't see, what is it about snakes that allows them to inbreed successfully? And in the wild, will they breed with relatives? Questions, questions...

Last edited:
There have been lots and lots of wild Bredli introduced to the captive market - I have wild caught adults in my collection. But interbeeding seems to have no noticeable effect on reptiles...Bob Whitey has Spotted Pythons that are 7th generation from memory.

Personally I wouldn't worry about siblings breeding., for example, the founding stock of bredli originated from a small range near Alice Springs.

Yet to see an imperfect bredli...Centralian python

Have to agree with Sandee.
A simple way to answer the question Dave1gsxr proposed is to think about what happens with snakes on a island.

Then you look at the other side of the coin and look at what happens to too few humans left on an island??

Tongue in cheek...... is Tasmania a classic example??

We simply dont know enough yet to state categorically that this is either positive or negative for the over all well being of reptiles
With most species of animal it is definitely negative
After another 50 years [10 generations] we can possibly have enough evidence

Have to agree with Sandee.
A simple way to answer the question Dave1gsxr proposed is to think about what happens with snakes on a island.

They get huge, like the Chappell Island Tiger snake? Maybe that's what's going to happen to inbred snakes! ;)

That is a good point. So if you had a population of snakes, say jungles, limited in range because of habitat destruction, it isn't necessarily going to be detrimental to the gene pool? I guess it depends on how limited.

We simply dont know enough yet to state categorically that this is either positive or negative for the over all well being of reptiles

Agreed. I'd love to get some solid evidence one way or the other.

Last edited:
Well thanks for all your replies guys, I have read previously that inbreeding in reptiles.. or at least snakes! is not a problem. Guess I just wanted to throw it out there and hear other peoples opinions and advice.

Guess the rule in tassy doesn't apply in this case Longqi.. the one where they keep chicken wire down the hallways to keep the brothers away from their sisters.. IM JUST KIDDING.. KIDDING!!!

haha, thanks again all, I have read a few more pieces on it and have decided that it is OK.. at least for now.

Then you look at the other side of the coin and look at what happens to too few humans left on an island??

Tongue in cheek...... is Tasmania a classic example??

With most species of animal it is definitely negative
After another 50 years [10 generations] we can possibly have enough evidence

Interesting thought, wait another 50 years???? surely there are islands around Oz that have been isolated for more than 50 years.
Someone mentioned Chappell Island and the tiger snakes. I'm told they get big but is that from inbreeding or from their rich diet??

Someone mentioned Chappell Island and the tiger snakes. I'm told they get big but is that from inbreeding or from their rich diet??

My mention of Chappell Island Tigers was a bit tongue-in-cheek. There are quite a few examples of animals on islands growing larger than their mainland counterparts. A quick Google search shows it's called island gigantism. I'll have to read more about it later.

I have a ninth gen blonde from the scarf line.... she looks brillant, and looking to keep a tenth gen male back to put her over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back