OPMV Testing Machine - Funding Option

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peterjohnson64

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Now that OPMV has raised its ugly head again I thought I would get some thoughts of people's interest in helping raise the money to purchase the $1 million machine to test for it.

My initial thoughts are that we get each of the states to add an extra $10 to the cost of getting or renewing a licence. Assuming there are 20,000 licenced keepers in Aus then that equates to $200,000 per renewal. Qld has a different system and maybe they could charge $5 per transfer instead of $2.

If we had this in legislation then it would be a given that a leasing company would fund the purchase of the machine. Its no different to the Ansett levy or a toll road etc.

I dont think people realise how important this is. There are so many cases of this around now and for an extra $10 which is nothing, you could theoretically save your collection if you have an infected snake..

I think its a great idea, NPWS should just do it anyway, whats $10 really for the peace of mind of your whole collection whether it be 1 snake or 1000..

I would definetely pay the extra for that peace of mind such testing can offer.

Just one point, do we know exactly how expensive the test equipment is?

I'd be happy to pay far more than 10 bucks on top of the usual per year.
Maybe there could be a $10 minimum levy, with the option to donate more towards it on the form.

Cheers,
Austy.

Re: RE: OPMV Testing Machine - Funding Option

geckodan said:
Your stumbling block is that such a machine for testing on live animals doesn't exist.

:lol:

Maybe money should be given to get the CSIRO to study OPMV itself.

Matt

RE: Re: RE: OPMV Testing Machine - Funding Option

here here ill put the money in what a great idea guys

I would agree to pay it if I was assured that we would actually get what we paid for.

May i ask what is OPMV

ive just done some reading on it, it sounds pretty bad

Great Idea.
I would be more than happy to help fund a test or fund finding a test or cure for this seirios pertentual problem.
Good one Pete! :)
All the best,
Jason

Apparently the only way you can tell if an animal has OPMV (currently) is to have it done in a postmortem. (No Cure :cry: )It would be for someone like the CSIRO to study the disease further and come up with something.

Bump.

I know there are lots of more important threads going on at the moment but I just thought. What the heck!! I'll throw this one straight back at ya!! And yes, from what I understand, there is definitely a machine that can "test" for this disease and it costs a million. But there is absolutley no way known on this earth that we could convince anyone in power to do something when only 20 or so members of about 100 in a herp community say they are in support of an idea. At this stage it would be no hope!!!!

22 now :lol:

I placed my vote when the poll first came up, more than happy to pay a levy, be it for a machine, for study, or simply to add my voice and show I am one of those that does want something done.

But:

Peter, you say such a machine exists, yet Geckodan says it doesn't.

Can we have more info on this machine please ? Where did you find out about it ? How does it work ?

"A hemagglutination-inhibition test (Figure 14) has been developed to determine the presence of specific antibodies to OPMV in plasma/sera of exposed snakes. Blood samples are easily obtainable by cardiac puncture. See submission of samples below"

This article can be found here: http://sacs.vetmed.ufl.edu/wildlife/Pmyx.html

there is a machine in florida and it cost about $20 to $40 per snake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back