Outdoor vivariums for diamond python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davidmc01

Reaction score
Can I house my diamond python in an outdoor vivarium on a covered verandah facing east receiving morning sun and protected from rain. The vivarium has a perspex door and side ventilation? Can anyone offer any advice?

Before everyone else jumps in I will ask. Where are you David? Do you have a pic of the enclosure and the verandah?

I've taken some photos, but the site is not letting me attach them. So, while I'm trying to work that out, I can tell you that I'm in Berowra, northern Sydney. The enclosure is quite tall with cross-ventilation and an internal size is 595w x 1400h x 400d.

OK, so in spite of the error messages, it did upload the attachment. That's my deck, looking due south. Here's a shot of the enclosure, not quite complete, next to my eight-year-0ld son, Hamish.

Thanks David and well done. You've mastered stage 1 of Aussie pythons. Posting with pics.

If Serpentongue answers this question then you have the best advice available in the country.

Also, you might want to get some temperatures from within the cage. It is about as hot is it is going to get at the moment. Put the cage in the spot it is going to be, get yourself a min/max thermometer and take some readings. The cage will be more of an issue in summer than any other time. Diamons occur locally so the cold should not be a problem.

Cheers

Pete

I was going to say that the front perspex/glass would intensify sunlight & heat, possibly over-heating the enclosure & killing the animal, but after seeing the pics I assume it will only receive shaded light due to the verandahs roofing? (make sure it dosn't receive direct sunlight) in which case provided temps are satisfactory, a gradient is provided & there is hides for the snake to retreat into it should be fine. HOWEVER, I would think the reason you want to keep it outdoors is the UVA/UVB factor? The enclosure wouldn't be receiving either naturally as the UV rays are blocked from the perspex/glass. So an artificial source will be needed...

Thanks all. To be honest, we decided on the verandah as we couldn't find a suitable space inside. However, I did think the natural light would be a bonus. I didn't realise that the perspex/glass would filter the UV - is that definite? Doesn't UV get into greenhouses? I was going to get a reptile lamp before this, so I'll go ahead and do it if you think it's necessary. Meanwhile, I'll take some temperature readings.

It definately will eliminate the UV.

Greenhouses are usually UV glazed to block a certain amount of UV. They use either a mesh shade cloth or poly film etc & come in a wide range of building materials for this purpose. Inside these houses recieve filtered UV that is less intense than direct sunlight. Different Flora have diffrent requirements so some greenhouses may be fitted with a manual or auto roof opening to allow direct sunlight for --- time. Glasshouse for example must have an opening roof as glass does not filter UV it eliminates 100% of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back