Painting Enclosures

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicole

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

Has anyone used one pack marine grade polyurethene (sp?) on their enclosures?

How long do I need to air the enclosure before it is safe for my girl to move house?

The electricals are in, everything is fitted out nicely, and now we play the waiting game.... or maybe Hungry Hungry Hippos...

Nicole I use wattyl Marine Clear it is a water based sealer that is non toxic I leave mine for one day if the cage is unassembled or 2-3 days if it is assembled.
You might have to give it a couple of coats to really seal it.
You can always ring the manufacture like I did and they will help you to decide on what to use and how long to leave it before placing your baby in, they dont know much about reptiles but they do know their products well and the toxidity levels.
I hope this heaps you

We've got three coats on it, it has been 2 days so far.
Good advice, I might ring the manufacturer! Thanks Grant. :D

I'd still like to hear from anyone else who has used similar products.

I used 4 coats of White Knight Poly and left it a day between coats and a whole week following the final coat including one day with it activated and fully operating before my sexy young couple moved in :)

Cheers Afric.
I think this paint is made by 'Bondcrete' (I couldn't be arsed going down to the garage to check at this stage of the evening :lol: ).
It must have been 3 days so far actually.
I left it operating last night and all day today, to see how it would go, and to check out my temperature gradients.
I might give it a couple more days...

What I usually do is leave it on and running for a day then open the door, stick my head in and if I can smell it it's too soon. If I can't smell it in goes the critter. This method not advised for people with the common cold or influenza :)

Hi Sisternic

My experience with my first enclosure (using a high gloss paint) was that the smell and therefore the fumes inside the enclosure hang around for at least a week. What I did was put the heater on in the enclosure and left it on with the fan (installed in the hood) pushing airflow through to try to clear the fumes and smell. It still had the paint smell after a week. I think polyurethane would be similar but not quite so bad.

My test was that if it felt uncomfortable for me to breath with my head inside than it wasn't ready for use.

It also has led to my becoming an enclosure sniffer - it's cheaper than beer and lasts longer. 8)

Hehheheee, enclosure sniffer...
I might invite some friends over and make a party of it...

Oh well, looks like no one is moving house till the weekend at the earliest then.
Thanks all. :)

If its possible Ive always found that if you can put the enclosure outside in the sun the fumes will disapate a lot faster.Also heating the enclosure up as
Mr Africa said running all your heating equipment prior to introducing the animals is IMO a must.
cheers

Yep, have been running the heat, but unfortunately can't put it out in the sun... unless...
If you were my employer would you guys let me have a week off to sun my enclosure and watch the fumes dissipate? Sounds like a good excuse to me... maybe they could take it out of that maternity leave I'm entitled to but am never going to use?? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back