Penny turtles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
herptrader you didnt look at those links did you? lol
I only say that as one of the links is about making turtle penny coins at Australia zoo :p :lol:

Strange1 said:
herptrader you didnt look at those links did you? lol
I only say that as one of the links is about making turtle penny coins at Australia zoo :p :lol:

Actually I did look at that one (but not all of them) and it sort of seemed relevant ;-)

unfortunatly for 'penny turtles' they were the same size as the 'matchbox car'
many of these poor guys were taken back to the petshop by some parent worried about the flaking scales under the animals carapise..
it wasnt until they watched the interaction between the kid and the "pennyturtle" did they realise that the 'flaking scale' was due to the kid going vroooooooom with turtle on the concrete driveway

Strange1
Macleays River shortnecks are about the smallest full grown you can get your hands on. They can live as adults in a 4x2x2 foot tank. My breeding female is around 18cm shell length and about full grown.

Thats rite the Macleay river shortneck is Enydura macquarii dharra and is the smallest of them but as they are all bundled under the same spiecies in the listings you can end up with one of the other Murray river spiecies and some are fairly large. But I sugest you join a club then keep trying and you'll get the rite advice to keep them for years in a tank .

Re: RE: Maybe Google it???

martyn_tann said:
actually... sorry to ram a spanner in the works... but you can get small turtles... there called terapins.
from the amazon. you used to be able to get them here but i very much doubt you can anymore. my dad had some when he was a kid... apparently they need all these special conditions to live under. but certain species only grow to quit a small size... but again i dout u will get ur hands on any... personaly i would love some but hey. thats government restrictions for ya...
goodluck
l8r
Martyn

They would have been baby freshwater turtles.
There are no penny turtles anywhere in the world. There are baby turtles rthen there are dead turtles.

If you wanted to get a snake without researching it first most people would jump down your throat. If you decide to get a turtle that issue gets sidelined. if you want something that looks good in a fish tank get fish or get a really good tank set up. A well looked after turtle will be with you all your life. Do some research. They dont deserve to be short changed.

RE: Re: RE: Maybe Google it???

i didn't know frsh water turtles can stay about 5cm in diameter for a few years... lol my dad had them for about 4 years till he had to give them up... (which is fair enough. threat of getting into the waterways. i completly agree) but he loved them and sorry but they do exist... just no here they don't

From what I can gather years ago red eared sliders where sold in pet shops and they were called Penny Turtles, I remember going to a pet shop in I think Box Hill in Melbourne many many years ago and they had a tank literally full of them.
Red Ears come from North America and not the Amazon and can grow quite big. If they stayed 5cm for a few years it was because they weren't fed very much. Terrapins are what Americans call fresh water tortoises (turtles) usually just the Diamondback and they aren't that small. To further complicate things terrapin is used in many countries to describe aquatic tortoises in general.

Thats freshwater turtles, tortoises are terrestrial. They have feet that look a bit like elephants feet( a long bow I know but you get my drift(mixed metaphore))Terrapins in the hobby is preodominately British. The misnomer of turtles being called tortoises here in Australia has unfortunately led to the slow death of many of them. Thats turtles not the British (who by the way have a club Called Middlesborough that pays Mark Viduka to play for them, English aye?)

Original "Penny Turtles" were according to John Cann, Mary River Shortnecks (Elusor macrurus). He spent years studying the origin of this turtle, that funny enough grows to be one of the larger types of shortnecks. He is a world authority on Australian turtles, and his book "Australian Freshwater Turtles" is a must for any serious herper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back