Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kristy i got a water gun for 10th birthday, then the next year I wanted a machine gun. Worked out very well :p:p

I dont keep them and wont untill i move somewhere that can fit more large goannas. I would expect the price to drop to around $500 over the next few years and stay around that price. They are awesome, but dont have a big market due to their requirements and wouldnt be profitable like many other reptiles are.

IMO lacies, V.spenceri or V.panoptes are better suited to the average person interested in keeping a large goanna.

I often hear that perenties are dangerous or agressive(compared to other species), i suspect this is BS, what do others think?

Do they chase you for 20 k's like brown snakes do? :lol:

Obviously they are cold blooded killers just the same, its just no one has actually survived to talk about being hunted by a pack of perenties (they only kill when they can take out all witnesses).

Kristy i got a water gun for 10th birthday, then the next year I wanted a machine gun. Worked out very well :p:p

Was it a super soaker? I had one of them. If you pumped them hard enough, I reckon you wouldn't need the upgrade to machine gun. You could take someone's eyes out easily. I imagine your girl-wrists prevented this, though, and the machine gun was compensation? Maybe you should have upgraded to an attack perentie, instead? ;)

I wouldnt say girly wrist....they're more dainty really.
and I'll stick to Brown Snakes, I enjoy the run :p

Working with perenties every day would make you not a first time monitor keeper. I keep and breed lacies at home, deal with perenties at work and agree that lacies are worse. I also agree that they are quite easy to handle if done correctly, but I'm not a first time keeper and doing this correctly requires experience that first time keepers don't have. Yes, most will bite in food mode rather than defensively or aggressively, but first time keepers can't always read the switch into food mode and that's exactly where the danger of getting bitten badly comes in. The ones that are a 'dream' to care for are the worst of all, because people take chances with a tame animal that they never would with a cranky animal. All it takes is a simple mistake, waving a food covered hand in front of their face, or moving a hand too quickly (food or no food) past one's mouth and the next thing you know you're booked in for hand surgery.

I agree with what you have written here Crocdoc. The thing I was trying to point out is all these ppl posting that have no experience with them, saying alot of different garbage, that they may have heard... Perenties can be very dangerous, but with time and experience they are quite easy to deal with. Just have to be alert at all times.

ANY large monitor can be dangerous, and despite someone suggesting that Lacies would be a good first large monitor, this is simply not the case. I have a friend who insists that his 'tame' Lace Monitor is totally reliable, and wears it like scarf, even kissing it on the nose occasionally. This behaviour makes me cringe. I have another good friend, who is sensible with reptiles, and have many years experience, who recently ended up with 40-odd stitches in his hand & arm after misjudging the mood of his 'tame' Lacie.

With time and experience, most reptiles are readable, but casual behaviour around large monitors is, at best, risky, and at the other end of the scale, downright stupid. A decent python bite is nothing compared to the damage they can do.

Jamie.

ive already stated im not getting one, i dont know why people cant read and not ask the same question LOL

No i am not getting one! - cleared up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back